Newbie display mirroring question

Reaction score
Hello I recently purchased a 2011 MacBook Pro and am trying to mirror my display to a TV via a mini display port adapter into a HDMI cable to TV. When I connect it, the TV says there is no signal (no input) on the input that the laptop is plugged into. I have been advised to go to "display" in the system preferences and enable it there but the problem is, it doesn't show me mirroring options in the display menu bar even when I have the box selected to "show me mirroring options when available" any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here? Any help is much appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When I first attempted this with my Late 2011 MBP, I had to perform and SMC multiple times, in order to get it to work.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

After I did it, it worked great. Just so you know, some MDP ports and connectors don’t carry audio signals, only video signals.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
When I first attempted this with my Late 2011 MBP, I had to perform and SMC multiple times, in order to get it to work.

Wow, that seems like an odd way to get that to work and sure shouldn't be necessary I would have thought, but thanks for the heads up Bob.

Strange things in the Apple world happening sometimes… ;)

PS: Did I read somewhere that some HDMI cables don't always carry both audio or video signals??? That also seemed odd to me or maybe I just misread things.

If it helps, Apple says:
Learn about HDMI and how you can connect your Mac to HDMI TVs and displays.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204388

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Patrick Usually the problem with the audio is with the type of video connector used on the Mac side. For example, my 2008 MacBook Pro uses a Mini Displayport connection to an adaptor that accepts an HDMI cable. Even with the newest HDMI cable that arrangement will not carry audio over the HDMI cable. If I use a Thunderbolt connector and the same HDMI cable audio is carried fine.

@Cjyota 32 Check the manual that came with your TV. Some sets require that the computer be connected to a specific input on the TV. That is not as true as it used to be but if that is an earlier set that might be an issue. Also, with the computer and TV on and connected to each other try cycling through each input/source option on the remote. The mirroring options do not appear in the Displays pane until the screen / TV is recognized.

Edit: There are a couple of different MacBook Pro models that were available in 2011. Which one do you have?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@Patrick Usually the problem with the audio is with the type of video connector used on the Mac side.

Thanks for the info Slydude .

Rather confusing for the person setting things up unless they knew I'd say.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.