• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Final Cut 5 on 2014 Mac Mini

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2014 Mac Mini, as well as an external disk drive. I tried to install my old Final Cut 5 software, but when I went to open the application, it said my operating system no longer supports this version, and directed me to download Final Cut X. Is there any way around this? Also, if I were to purchase a Final Cut 7 disk online, would the same problem occur? Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well, that Mac mini, will start up from OS X Yosemite (10.10), or anything later than that, if you have previously purchased/downloaded it. You may be able to get OS X El Capitan (10.11) here, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886.

What Mac model and year were you running your Final Cut 5 on?

I can’t answer your question about Final Cut 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
According to this:
Final Cut 5 last ran properly in Mavericks 10.9.x
Final Cut 7 last ran properly in Yosemite 10.10.x
Final Cut Pro X runs properly in all versions from ML to HS

https://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a

So their chart says… :\

- Patrick
======

OP
C
Reaction score
I am currently running High Sierra

My last machine was an ancient G5 running v. 10.5.8 Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

My last machine was an ancient G5 running v. 10.5.8 Leopard

And THAT is one huge leap, both equipment and software wise, and can be expensive upgrading software to match.

But I guess you might have expected that or otherwise you can't do much reading of any Mac/tech stuff on the 'net.

Good luck with your updates.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

As Patrick pointed out to you above... that means you need Final Cut Pro X. Which equates to spending more money ($299.99) since Apple in their wisdom does not give you credit for the previous version you have. I don't know how attached you are to Final Cut, but if possible, you might want to look around for an alternate app instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know how attached you are to Final Cut, but if possible, you might want to look around for an alternate app instead.

For such suggestions, I'd suggest going to a site, and read the specs and also read the user comments, but one has to be aware of the possible phony reviews and trolls. But also click the "comparison" button and check out some of the suggested alternatives. That alone can save a BIG pile of $$$$!!!

And for this particular case, have a look and read here:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7282/final-cut-pro-x

Good luck.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.