Hello from old MS user - need advice on buying Macbook!

Reaction score
Now that I'm retired, I've decided to explore the Apple world. I want to get a Macbook or Macbook pro. I'll be using office apps and learning the world of Apple. My question is what would you recommend for a refurbished Macbook or Macbook pro? I've noticed that Apple upgrades or changes about every 8 hours and there is a lot of talking on the forum about this or that is already outdated, but the version released 7 hours ago is greater than sliced bread. Big question is if there is any great advantage to the pro and what would be the cutoff year I should be considering for a learning machine. O.K., enough of my rambling nonsense! Thanks in advance.

-=BDD=-

Last edited by a moderator:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
O.K., enough of my rambling nonsense!

Go to the Apple on line refurbished store and choose one from there. We do not recommend buying a refurbished Apple product from anywhere else other than Apple.

Apple Refurbished Store

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A few things, you didn't say what your budget was. Also you said office apps, so if your use is limited to document creation, web browsing and stuff the Macbook is a good machine to start with. The Pro, as the moniker implies, tends to have upgraded components better suited to professionals that do music creation, video/photo editing, development and so on. My loaded MBP is likely overkill for your use case and at nearly $3k, might be over your budget as well.

I will definitely looking at the Refurbished store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Consider a MacBook Air. A lot cheaper and lots of connections: USB, card reader, Thunderbolt, power socket. The MacBook has only one for everything and the smaller MBP has only two, again, for everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.