How can I create shortcut (with F keys ideally) for Volume and Brightness

Reaction score
On a Mac MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015, OSX 10.13), how can I create shortcut (ideally make it an F key; F1 or F2...) that modifies the brightness & the volume settings?

Yes there are dedicated Keys on the Mac but I'm adding an external keyboard (Kinesis Advantage 2) so the F1 & F2 Keys for brightness and the F11 & F12 keys don't transfer to my external keyboard and I want them to or want a similarly / quick way of modifying those settings.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would think that an expensive keyboard like the Kinesis Advantage 2 would come with software that allowed shortcuts to be created. However, I'm not sure you can duplicate the volume and brightness keys with a shortcut. It probably would require a re-programming of keys to do it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nice find Bob. He can look up the instructions they have for key re-mapping. That might work.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry guys but remapping doesn't work for keys that aren't already on the Kinesis keyboard itself. I've already remapped the entire layout to be a Colemak Layout but since the Kinesis keyboard doesn't have brightness or volume settings (I guess that's obvious otherwise I wouldn't be here) I can't move them around, I've tried.

chscag - what is involved in reprogramming keys how would I do that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Re-programming a keyboard is very complex. I used to know a fellow who re-programmed Windows keyboards and made them do things they were not intended to do. I found an article that explains it which may or may not help you. Here is the LINK.

Frankly, it would be more trouble than it's worth to try and re-program your Kinesis to obtain modifying keys for brightness and sound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
How can I create shortcut

Was there nothing that would help at their support page??

The fully programmable Advantage2 features Kinesis’s all-new SmartSet Programming Engine that allows you to customize the keyboard’s layout without installing any clunky software or special drivers, or accessing the internet. Record macros, remap keys, and much, much more. SmartSet works on all major operating systems and enables users to easily create, view, edit, share, and backup their custom layouts.
https://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage2/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.