• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

strange arcing in iMac

Reaction score
the iMac g5 has a very strange arcing sound when I take a screen shot using command shift 3 or 4 while iTunes is running or preview is open is this a normal occurrence I sounds like eventually this is going to blowup does anyone else experience this? Scares the heck out of you if your volume is set loud. I think I have ignored this problem long enough, I have to make sure it is a problem before I contact Apple care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it makes a 'camera' noise when you hit those keys, it should sound like your taking a picture
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
coach_z said:
it makes a 'camera' noise when you hit those keys, it should sound like your taking a picture
-chris

I have a funny feeling that is what he is hearing, but it really does sound like a camera click.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Yes It makes that noise also but it also sounds like sparking inside computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
mute or turn off all your speakers and try again, just to make sure that it is or isnt coming from the compy

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
thats just it It doesn't do it every time I will try and record the noise and link it on here give me a few

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
iNAP said:
thats just it It doesn't do it every time I will try and record the noise and link it on here give me a few

Like Coach suggested, see if you can get that noise with the volume mutted. If not, it has to be coming from the speakers.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
it figures, I can not duplicate it, as soon as I stop trying, it will startup again you watch..errrrr!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.