macbook pro retina mid 2015 logic board

Reaction score
Hello There

I have a mac book pro retina mid 2015.. In the last few months i have had a few issues with this laptop. It crashed last august and Apple service provider diagnostic was screen failure and needed replacement - Apple support provided for this replacement - then last October laptop crashed again and this time logic board was the diagnostic - i contacted Apple who again allowed for the replacement - and yesterday again laptop crashed - contact Apple who recommended that i take it to a service provider for diagnostic - which was another Logic board replacement - which Apple again approved.

I find this a little confusing.... noticed that this happened befote with some 2012 and 2013 mac book. Is there something similar happening with retina 2015.

Any suggestion of how to go about issue like this.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
- contact Apple who recommended that i take it to a service provider for diagnostic - which was another Logic board replacement - which Apple again approved.

Good grief…???? How many times are they going to approve the board replacement, and if and when are they just going to replace the whole machine instead???

Is there something similar happening with retina 2015.
It sure sounds like yours is. :D

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I find this a little confusing.... noticed that this happened befote with some 2012 and 2013 mac book. Is there something similar happening with retina 2015.

Any suggestion of how to go about issue like this.?

As Patrick noted above.... You have a lemon. Elevate this to an Apple supervisor, but be polite and let them know that you are tired of all the failures and what are they going to do about it? Apple has been known to swap out the lemon with a new computer. Not saying they will do that for you but you do need to be pro-active. Good luck with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As Patrick noted above.... You have a lemon.

+1!!! I should have been a bit more emphatic!! Big understatement!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
This very thing happened to me with a tricked out retina 2013, after the 3rd logicboard replacement and it still crashed and went black, I called apple customer relations (I believe it’s called) and I was as respectful as possible but pressed that I cannot continue with a laptop that never works after 3 repairs. They had me take to a place they recommended to do diagnostics they confirmed it, and they sent me a brand new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They had me take to a place they recommended to do diagnostics they confirmed it, and they sent me a brand new machine.

That's the way things should work and be dealt with, but we have no idea where the OP lives and if they do things the same way, wherever it is.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I understand it’s pretty universal, there’s a quiet unsaid that after 3 unsuccessful repairs you can press your case for a replacement. I’ve read of these all over the world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Tell me about it! September 2015 I was given a free replacement for my 2011 machine which had the known graphics card failure (they called it 'video issues') and had, up to then, had the logic board replaced THREE times. In February 2016 I was having similar issues with the replacement which necessitated another logic board, repeat...then a third machine. By September 2016 this was in for a replacement Logic Board, and Top Case with Battery. Ok so far...

All of this detailed in previous posts.

Guess what - I bought AppleCare!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh wow. I had thought 2014 retinas on they had resolved the video issues mostly, or so I would have hoped. So far there's been no issues with my replacement (knock on wood...) but I've also ran it almost exclusively on one of those aluminum stands by Rain, so it likely acted as both heatsink and allowed better heat dissipation, I don't know, or, simply lucky. Apple has had severe problems with overheated video chipsets as I've had 4 machines die of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I began to think it was me!

The two 2015 builds I've had have run way cooler than the 2011 which was like a hot water bottle.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple has had severe problems with overheated video chipsets as I've had 4 machines die of it.

Actually, the video chipsets were good. It was the lousy environmentally correct solder being used (lead free) that was the main cause. The solder would separate slightly causing arcing and naturally that causes overheating and finally failure. That's why in some cases reflow would work but only temporarily. I believe they have since gone to a new method of bonding the video chipsets. Intel is also using better integration with the CPU, at least for their own video chips.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, the video chipsets were good. It was the lousy environmentally correct solder being used (lead free) that was the main cause.

I really wonder if they and everyone else didn't go overboard with the "get the lead out" campaign. At least it is still kept in for most military and space equipment. To use Apple's phrase, "It just works"!!! And of course with some Antimony to help it out as well.

But I better not mention that there was also some money that could be saved, and you don't suppose that had anything to do with it perhaps???? :Evil:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was the solder issue largely (I also had the famous ram slot failure issue with a PowerBook because of that...) but there was also some video chip failures as I also had that on one model, it was an nVidia chip within a certain serial range. They had a few issues with the actual chip. But yeah the lead free solder plagued them since PowerBook days and I lost several machines to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I began to think it was me!

The two 2015 builds I've had have run way cooler than the 2011 which was like a hot water bottle.
Ha ha me too! I am getting superstitious with my machines. But I do run the heck out them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.