• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Talking about coffee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Well, as we are on that subject ;D

Of course water can boil at 95ºC. All you have to do is to reduce the air pressure around it, init :eek:

All you need is to climb to about 6000' and Bob's yer uncle and 95ºC is yer boiling point of water. :Mischievous::Mischievous::Cool:

And if you were to leg it up Everest it would boil at about 75ºC That's about 170ºF to you lot over the Pond :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Maybe I’m on a high altitude and I don’t know it?

When my kettle reaches 95 it starts boil, when I let it hit 100, for tea, it’s really going and the kettle is shaking! Maybe the kettle tempurature gauge isn’t accurate?

One of these days I’ll get a better one where I can set to 93.5!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For coffee I’ve been using kickhorse coffee beans, sometimes their light roast (kootenay crossing) or current fav a medium roast (smart a** I asterisked it in case the forum doesn’t allow the name of my coffee!).

The light roast, done right, truly tastes amazing black.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
From the time we lived in France I found that the majority of the French love their coffee fairly strong and black. Then they chuck a load of sugar in it! They seem to have an extremely sweet tooth and love all things sugary.

One guy in our walking group always had a flask of hot chocolate and how anyone could drink it was totally beyond me. Just chocolate coloured sugar syrup :Mischievous::Mischievous::Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sugar is much worse than adding milk or cream! I sometimes add some whole milk to take the sharpness out but never ever sugar!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was given one of those fancy Starbucks Coffee Makers several years ago as a gift. And it makes great coffee, but of course that depends on the brand of coffee you buy. I like the dark Italian roast best because it's strong and bold. No sugar, no cream.

And John... you can always make your coffee taste better by adding a bit of that Irish Whiskey you fellows across the pond like to indulge. :)

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Irish What!!

Much better to have a glass of Armagnac with it and not in it :Cool::Cool:

Groovie, going back to your kettle and 95º. I think that you will find that the temp sensor lags the actual temp by a few seconds and if you switch it off at 95 and leave it for a few seconds you will see the reading go up to 100ºC mate..:eek: That is only if the temp still shows after you've switched it off of course? And 93.5ºC is only good for green teas as it doesn't het hot enough to release the oils in the coffee or black tea that I love. Only 100º is good enough for that. :Cool:

Must go and get my first cuppa-tea before it stews! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Coffee is supposed to be made with water which has gone off the boil for some reason so 95c sounds about right. Cafetiere (French press) for me at home, cream or milk, no sugar and I use a ground Arabica from Lidl called 'Gold'. I won't go into chains like Starbucks (tasteless, plus horrible thick mugs) or Costa (how much??) unless desperate. We have a long established family-owned coffee roasting company in north east England called Pumphreys, who mainly supply to hotels, restaurants etc, but you can do a tour of their factory. Fascinating.
IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes, that is about right. If you look up French press temperature that all say the same thing. You can actually buy kettles (here you can) that have a 'French press setting' which is usually 93.5, the official number apparently as the ideal brewing temperature. But you got me curious as to whether my kettle has been deceiving me, I have one of those new fancy thermometers that polls very fast, unlike the other digitals that are slow, and lifted the lid, watched it. For boiling, the water began to show small bubbles and movement around 185F, but my kettle clicked off at 204F which is 95.5, so it is .5 higher! It still is not a full rolling boil then but it is a light boil. If I allow to go to 212 it's a full on shaking boil. My wife may give me a side glance if she catches me standing there holding a thermometer in the kettle in the morning though. I think though, one should use the temperature you like your coffee brewed at best.

I'm curious about the idea of go to full boil and then letting it cool to 93.5. I don't know if there'd be a difference, I have some very insane coffee friends I'll have to ask.

I became much more particular about making coffee after I did a big trip throughout Europe a few years ago, and Italy completely changed me food, and coffee wise. Well ok wine too! (toooooo muuuuch wine.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I despair of getting an 'ordinary' coffee when out with all the frappes, ...ccinos etc, never mind skinny milk, almond milk, yuk. I wonder if Americans realise how the phrase 'Americano' came about. Apparently during WW2 GIs in Italy couldn't cope with the full blown espresso so asked for it to be topped up with water. The baristas sneered at this weakness and called the brew 'Americano' as a derogatory term! Must admit i can't do espresso either, having been brought up in the 60s on tinned Nescafe powder!

Anyone else used two old coffee cans with a bit of string to make a radio (!)? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love that story. A big club in Italy, we were drinking wine and I asked for a glass of red, he asked what, I said, 'something good', he gave me a glass. I said, hey, this is nice. He looked to his friend, and laughed, "Americano!". I said. Ok, give me, a really good glass... He laughed and said, here, it was, soooo much better. I don't know if it was still low quality, but I leaned quick.

At a friends apartment near Milan, he apologized and said he only has instant. Instant in Italy! but the way he made it... he boiled the milk, but he watched it carefully, waited for it to foam up just right, and poured it a certain way, it was the best instant Ive ever had! I told him how we simply boil water and pour it over it. He winced...

I loved the full strength espressos! I have a hard time finding the real thing here.

T

Tratimp

I thought it would be talking about the brand of coffee, but it seems that we're talking about how to make coffee, right? I'm a little confused. And I rarely drink coffee, sometime will have instant coffee when I'm depressed...

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"sometime will have instant coffee when I'm depressed... "

That would make me depressed too:Mischievous::Mischievous::Mischievous:

We have just got back from Tetbury, very close to Charley's big house, (you over the pond probably know him better as `prince Charles? ;);) ) and had a rather nice cup of black coffee. That was an Americano I suppose?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey John....

The strongest coffee I ever had was in Bangkok, Thailand at an airport restaurant. The stuff was so thick you could cut it with a scissor. I found out later that the local folks there would douse the coffee with large lumps of pure sugar. I suppose that made it more like the old Karo syrup one could buy to put over their breakfast hotcakes. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.