Wireless speakers for iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch 2014, iPad Air 2 64GB 4G, iPhone 6s
Hi,

I'd like to have music playing out of my iMac speakers but also jointly from a wireless speaker placed somewhere else in my home. It is possible to output to both? I don't live in a huge place so I imagine bluetooth is okay? Can anyone recommend anything fairly low-end and give me tips on setting it up.

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

In your output settings for the iMac, you can only have one output device. That device might share music across multiple places, but the iMac won't do it. So if you have a small space and a centrally located Bluetooth speaker that is within range of the iMac, that might one option.

However, Bluetooth is really meant for "close" communication and not long ranges like WiFi, so you might get poor audio quality if the speaker is too far away.

The other option are speakers that themselves connect to each other and then to the iMac, so that one of he speakers can be close to the iMac and the others can cover your place.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch 2014, iPad Air 2 64GB 4G, iPhone 6s
Hi, thanks for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
That's a shame you can't have two outputs. I'm happy with the sound quality of the iMac speakers, so anything similar will be fine. If I won't get that from bluetooth then I won't bother. I'd just like to have something simple that I can turn on easily in another room and it just plays whats coming out of the mac without having to change settings, flick switches or plug in an AUX lead etc.

Welcome to Mac-Forums.

In your output settings for the iMac, you can only have one output device. That device might share music across multiple places, but the iMac won't do it. So if you have a small space and a centrally located Bluetooth speaker that is within range of the iMac, that might one option.

However, Bluetooth is really meant for "close" communication and not long ranges like WiFi, so you might get poor audio quality if the speaker is too far away.

The other option are speakers that themselves connect to each other and then to the iMac, so that one of he speakers can be close to the iMac and the others can cover your place.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may be able to setup a wireless streaming network if you have an Airport Express unit. That's probably the easiest way to do it but it does require extra equipment.

Read through this Apple Discussion thread from their public forums. LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.