Please help keep getting disconnected from WiFi New Mac Owner

Reaction score
Please forgive I am so tired trying so hard to use and learn my wonderful new Mac. I keep getting disconnected from my WiFi and my other Windows desktop seldom has these issues, it's definitely not the Wifi connection which is solid and works like a charm. I have tried to go into preferences and network - and wifi and it goes back and forth saying connected/not connected. Help, I dont know how to set it all to stay connected and I am not that far from my router which usually has no down time and no issues. TIA for any tips I work on my computer and need to stay connected as I am in chat with clients and cant afford to keep losing Wifi connections.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Moonflower.

From your comment
my other Windows desktop seldom has these issues
may I assume that your Mac is also a Desktop, i.e., an iMac?

If so, it would be much easier and better if you connected the iMac directly to your Router by Ethernet cable. This is faster than WiFi and more reliable.

If you have a Notebook and have to rely on WiFi, then we can suggest things you might do to sort out the problem.

Please post back.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You indicate the Windows computer seldom has disconnection issues and your mac won't stay connected? In a strong stable wifi network you should never have any connection issues. If both are even occasionally loosing a connection and both are close to the router I would suspect the router. What is the make, model and age of your router? They do get old and go bad.

Also what Ian suggested is a good option. Direct connect using ethernet is faster.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I had this problem with the DVD for my cctv camera. Check the IP address for the Mac (which will be different from the Windows PC). Every device has a different IP address which you can assign. My MBP is 192.168.1.2, the DVD is now 192.168.1.11

System Preferences > Network > Advanced > TCP/IP > Configure - use drop down menu to change to 'Manually' and change the address if needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you do what Sue suggested, make sure you pick an IP that is not in use with another device in your network. Frankly, I think using DHCP is the better choice here, and you can let the router keep from conflicting IP numbers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.