MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
does anyone have comments about this FREE antivirus
SOPHOS. a British app

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you have a quick look at the security area of these forums I think you will find most of our members avoid such software. The following seems to be true of AV software on the Mac:

1. The viruses being blocked / identified are based on Windows viruses. These viruses do not execute on the Mac unless they are run under BootCamp.
2. There are no Mac viruses "in the wild" AFAIK.
3. There is malware out for the Mac. Many of our members use MalwareBytes for Mac to combat this.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Also, I have to tell you that although not alone in this, Sophos has been blamed by many users on the net for blocking Apple Updates.

This happens because the update requires access to the OS and Sophos sees it as a "threat". Users suggest disabling it when updating.

This, together with what Sly said, makes it a pointless exercise installing AV. Worse still, in many cases uninstalling an AV and all its ramifications within OS can be very difficult.

Avoid them!

Ian

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thnks...I read that it really is a cpu/ram hog.
I run malware bytes but it only finds malware apparently.

on windows I used to run AVIRA and see that there is a version for Macs.
comment?

read posts in security area...
I have malware bytes, uBlock .0.9.5.2
ad block 2.66.0 and ghostery

and am pretty cautious about where I download from....
so I can only hope that I will be safe for the time being.....

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since this seems to be aimed at the Mac rather than iPhone/iPad I'll move it to the security area.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, I have to tell you that although not alone in this, Sophos has been blamed by many users on the net for blocking Apple Updates.

This happens because the update requires access to the OS and Sophos sees it as a "threat". Users suggest disabling it when updating.

This, together with what Sly said, makes it a pointless exercise installing AV. Worse still, in many cases uninstalling an AV and all its ramifications within OS can be very difficult.

Avoid them!

Ian

thanks Ian good to know about Sophos...tho I had already discounted it. guess I shouldn't be such a worry wart!!!

everyone's input is so very helpful...I just don't know how I would have got along without this forum.
soooo glad another is being setup. see you there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
There are no viruses in the wild that affect Macs. That might change, but if/when it does, the entire world will react and you'll hear about it. In the meantime, as has been said, all that any AV package can find are Windows viruses that will not affect your Mac in any way.

Most of what the AV packages find are viruses in emails which originated or came through a Windows system and picked it up. About the only justification for running it is to prevent you then forwarding it to someone else if you forward the email. But then, they should have AV software themselves, so it's really up to them to protect themselves.

One last thought. All AV packages protect on known viruses and known vectors of attack to block any new attempts in that vector. There are at this time no known vectors to attack a Mac. So there is nothing the AV can even check on as it sits there. That makes it doubly useless. It has nothing known to check for and no known vectors to monitor. Basically, it's useless.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thnx Jake
I fully unfderstand the logic on Mac not needing AV.....

Guess my concern is......
if any of my friends (and they all use windows) send me an email and they don’t have a good AV, culd that virus or whatever attached to their email and be activated when I open.

In the past a few times, I get an attachment from a friend and I cannot open it or it is all gobble gook...... so many times I ignore mail&attachments from that friend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In a word, NO. Windows viruses CANNOT affect your Mac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If one of your friends were to send an email that is infected there are a couple of things that could happen depending upon circumstances at the time:
1. If the email contains something that leads to an actual Windows virus and you are running the Mac OS when you run it the virus will not run. It could however be passed on to Windows users if you forward an infected email to them.
2. If the email triggers malware such as browser hijacks some of those can affect the Mac but can generally be cleaned up easily.
3. If you are running Windows on your Mac and open the email on the Windows side (BootCamp or virtual machine) the virus could affect the Windows side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Sly's option 3, the AV you install on the Mac will not protect the BootCamp (or the virtual machine) from the virus. You will need an AV in the Windows bootcamp or virtual machine, a Windows version of AV.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for catching that Jake. I didn't exactly make that clear.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all....... good to know. Now I can put that concern to bed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And apart from the so called free Combo Cleaner.

Like most PC stuff sold over the net, the download is free, but it then costs AU$65.00 p.a. to get it up and running lol!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As you asked for a Free antivirus software,

Apparently you didn't read the previous posts..

I'd also add that it sounds and reads like SPAM to me.

And from the user's comments, they seem to recommend avoiding and is NOT "free"!!!

from orsobou4 This is not real freeware. It will cost you $29.99 for a year as soon as you want it to clean up what it has just found while scanning.

It looks more like a scammer app to me. ;P

- Patrick
======

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
There are in fact viruses in the wild for macs contrary to what many've commented. I think it's bcuz anti virus isn't usually used on macs or the "less good" like free ones are, also ppl are usually more busy finding viruses for windows as they use up most of the market.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Guys.....

Stop quoting the original message and including the bad link that wants to download automatically. Let's use some common sense. OK?

Links have been removed and if necessary posts have been deleted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are in fact viruses in the wild for macs contrary to what many've commented. I think it's bcuz anti virus isn't usually used on macs or the "less good" like free ones are, also ppl are usually more busy finding viruses for windows as they use up most of the market.

Well CC, that may be your belief about viruses for the Mac OS, but as you recently joined and said you'd "like to join with the main intention to help ppl and converse", you're going to have to supply some facts and references to backup such statements if you are expecting to get any sort or respect here.

Just saying…

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
We both know Patrick there are some adware and malware about that Malwarebytes for Mac qill take care of b ut no viruses.

Come on CC enlighten us. Windows viruses contain the whole market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We both know Patrick there are some adware and malware about that Malwarebytes for Mac qill take care of b ut no viruses.

Come on CC enlighten us. Windows viruses contain the whole market.

Maybe CC includes the nasty adware and malware as a "virus" as so many others do as well.

And that even includes some computer article authors who should know better when writing on computer related stuff. :[

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.