Macs4u.com

Reaction score
Has anyone bought a refurbished Mac from Macs4u? I've looked at the Apple refurbished store and it is still a bit pricey for me. If you scroll down, it does tell you the year.

Thanks

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I hope that you realize Apple only sells brand new computers...and refurbished models usually no more than 1-2 years old.

Macs4u.com appears to mostly sell USED computers that they're calling "refurbished". And I should mention that the way Macs4u.com is advertising computers...they are omitting one VERY important detail...the model year of each computer. This is VERY important...because it in almost all discussions...the model year is almost always mentoned.

As an example...here's a 15" MacBook Pro that Macs4u.com is selling...they're calling it a "APPLE MACBOOK PRO 15.4" (2.3 GHZ QUAD CORE I7, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB, THUNDERBOLT)"...originally $1799, now $929 (you save $870).

https://www.macs4u.com/apple-macbook-pro-15-4-2-3-ghz-quad-core-i7-4-gb-ram-500-gb-thunderbolt/

All of this is correct...except...what they're not mentioning is it's a mid-2012 model MacBook Pro. To me this is VERY misleading. And yes...it was $1799 originally back in 2012...but that original price really means nothing in January, 2018 (5.5 years later). And I'm willing to bet that if I look on eBay...this 2012 model 15" MacBook Pro is selling for less than $929.

I think this site is very misleading without mentioning the model year of each computer being sold.

- Nick

Last edited:
OP
E
Reaction score
The one I was looking at is a 2011 model, and yes, I saw that Apple's store only has the newest ones. Thanks for the information. I'll certainly think this over some more and try to limp along with my PC for now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One more detail. Many of these used computer resellers sell used (refurbished) computers...and many times offer a 30-60 day warranty. They may do some sort of "refurbishing"...but what this entails can vary from reseller to reseller. For comparision...if you purchase a refurbished computer from Apple...it will be in just like new condition...and you will get a 12 month warranty (just like new computers).

But many times you may pay significantly more for these computers from these resellers compared to what you can get them for on eBay. You're paying more because of the 30-60 day warranty...and you're paying more since they're a "middle-man"...and tack-on a bunch of profit. If you purchase a used computer from eBay...if you check it out well after receiving a computer you purchased...then it should be ok. And if you receive it & it turns out to not be as described (mechanical condition, specs, or cosmetic condition)...then you return it. Pay with PayPal...and you will be good to go.:)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks! I really appreciate your info. The more I think about Macs4u, the more I agree they are deceiving you when they say the computer is 70% off and you have to scroll down to see that it is an older computer. I'll look at ebay, maybe Amazon? But thank you so much. I almost bought that one on above site, but thought I would check on here first. *whew*:D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not as familiar with what Amazon sells (new/used/refurbished). If you find something on Amazon...use Ebay as a "price-check" to see if the price on Amazon is fair. And of course remember...there can be a big difference in price for the same unit depending if you're buying from an "online store" or an individual seller.

- Nick

Reaction score
I hope that you realize Apple only sells brand new computers...and refurbished models usually no more than 1-2 years old.

Macs4u.com appears to mostly sell USED computers that they're calling "refurbished". And I should mention that the way Macs4u.com is advertising computers...they are omitting one VERY important detail...the model year of each computer. This is VERY important...because it in almost all discussions...the model year is almost always mentoned.

As an example...here's a 15" MacBook Pro that Macs4u.com is selling...they're calling it a "APPLE MACBOOK PRO 15.4" (2.3 GHZ QUAD CORE I7, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB, THUNDERBOLT)"...originally $1799, now $929 (you save $870).

https://www.macs4u.com/apple-macbook-pro-15-4-2-3-ghz-quad-core-i7-4-gb-ram-500-gb-thunderbolt/

All of this is correct...except...what they're not mentioning is it's a mid-2012 model MacBook Pro. To me this is VERY misleading. And yes...it was $1799 originally back in 2012...but that original price really means nothing in January, 2018 (5.5 years later). And I'm willing to bet that if I look on eBay...this 2012 model 15" MacBook Pro is selling for less than $929.

I think this site is very misleading without mentioning the model year of each computer being sold.

- Nick

Hi Nick,
I just came across your post and provide a bit more info re. your comments. We are macs4u.com and have been working with Macs since the Mac Classic (actually the Lisa) long before we started offering computers for sale.
Our computers are primarily used (seller-refurbished) state them that way and we do list the year (or years, depending how long computers have been manufactured) on every machine we sell (on top of the actual description).

Apart from other Resellers we do also make sure that our computers have the right quality (great battery health, no screen de-lamination, excellent Apple AC chargers), describe the cosmetic condition and include free accessories (like hard shell cases) and ship all computers free with full insurance and signature. Most of our laptops are 2015 models and up with the exception of our pre-Retina MacBook Pros which are often chosen due to price or because they are upgradeable and have a DVD burner.

Btw, if we sell pre-Retina 15” computers, we only sell the mid-2012 model and none of the older models that are prone to Graphic card failures.

These may seem like minor details but whoever had to replace a battery or a failed logic board can appreciate the potential savings and hassle…

We also provide a lot of free courtesy services (choice of OS and data migration assistance for example)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
2011 is a little too old with USB2.

Go for at least a model with USB3 and if an iMac more importantly so. Being difficult to crack, the eaziest way to upgrade is with an external SSD connected via USB 3.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Macs4u:

Welcome to our forums and thanks for providing the information regarding your company.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Macs4u for joining up...and thanks for the informative post.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.