NUMBERS formula

Reaction score
I am impressed with the NUMBERS application but am frustrated that I cannot set up a particular formula.
What I want to do for example is "If cell C is NOT zero take value of Cell A from cell B".
That meaning execute the arithmetic if there is any value positive/negative on Cell C, but if cell C is zero do nothing.
I think this is part of =ABS but I cannot find any HELP to use the function.
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
This forum may die any minute. The owners are shutting it down, supposedly today. Here is the thread on it: http://www.mac-forums.com/news-and-community-announcements/344599-mac-forums-shutting.html

Read the start of that thread, and then jump to about 2/3's through to see what Slydude and dtravis7 are doing to keep us going.

So check with Slydude and dtravis7 to get connected to where the new site might be and to stay in touch.

That said, I'll look at Numbers and get back if the board is still up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IF (C2=0,,(B2-A2)) should work. I tested it and it did for me. Basically, that formula says if C=0, do nothing, otherwise, take A from B. Logically, that is the same as what you said.

Obviously, the row I used (2) can be changed to whatever row(s) you are using.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@exgarymac To save you the trouble of reading most of that thread and where we stand right now:

1. The owners have announced that this forum was to be shut down as of December 31, 2017. I suspect that the only reason we are up today is due to it being a holiday.

2. Dennis (a.k.a dtravis7) is in the process of setting up a new forum and several of the current admins are working to set up a new site. A domain has been registered and forum software purchased. The guys are working feverishly to get things working as soon as possible.

3. The new site is not ready for member logins yet. If you would like to be kept informed about when the new site is up and ready Join Denis's Facebook group or PM me an email address and I will add you to the email list.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, how about making a sticky of this in the forum where the original thread is located, and then locking it down so we can, for the rest of the day, simply point to that?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good idea. There is a sticky there that has a link to the FB group and a link to PM me. I will just add the forum summary update there.

OP
E
Reaction score
MacInWin, As stated, your solution worked fine, BUT to save troubling anyone again, I should have also asked if you could direct me to somewhere to find the HELP for defining other complicated formulae. The Help button gives only very basic formulae assistance so a route to something more definitive would be so helpful.
Grateful thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In addition to the two forums toMACsh gave you, there is nothing like practice and experimentation. Excel and Numbers are both very powerful spreadsheets, and I have been using them (or the predecessor, Lotus 1-2-3) since the 1970's when Lotus first appeared. I'm by no means an expert, as there are many commands I never use, but typically the help in the app itself is sufficient to set me on a path to a solution. And in Numbers, the help is in the menu system. For example, all formulae start with "=", so as soon as you type in an equals sign in a cell, the formula window will open on the right of the spreadsheet with all of the possible options shown and an explanation of the current one selected below that. So all I did for your problem was to think through it in that you wanted an IF something THEN something, OTHERWISE something, so I clicked on the IF function and just below it was a very clear explanation of how it worked. From there I just worked to the simplest implementation, which is what I gave you. So, go play, experiment, see what things do. You can't break Numbers by doing that.

EDIT: One tip is that I turned your IF around so that I didn't have to do as many statements. Basically, if the field was zero, you wanted nothing done, but if it wasn't zero, you wanted something done. There is a solution using ABS function, but it's much more complex. Always go for the simple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Excel and Numbers are both very powerful spreadsheets, and I have been using them (or the predecessor, Lotus 1-2-3) since the 1970's when Lotus first appeared.

You're bringing back old memories Jake. Lotus 123 and Lotus Notes - both great apps. I can remember when we had to switch from Lotus Notes to Outlook, what a disappointment that was but we had no choice at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Charlie, all I have are OLD memories,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lotus reigned supreme ~ in their day of course. Great software but pretty pricey at the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.