Guest login

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i5
Have a late 2009 iMac running High Sierra 10.13.2 and a Macbook Pro late 2016 running the same OSX version on the same LAN. Have shared folders on both.

Problem is I cannot login in from the MBP into the guest account of the iMac. The boxes to allow a guest to log in and to allow a guest to access shared folders are both checked (parental control not used) on the iMac.

The Macbook Pro is configured identically and login to its guest account from the iMac works just fine. Logging into user accounts (other then guest) works fine both ways. Problem with guest account on the iMac came with High Sierra.

What's wrong?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro, iMac, OS 10.13.6, iPhone 6s iOS 15.1, iPad mini, iOS 9.3.5
Just being curious here. Is there any reason you do not log in to your main account on the other computer ? Guest logging is far less practical, I think. From my MacBook Pro, which is my main computer, I can log into my account on the iMac (which is my wife's computer, and also the computer to which the bootable clones of my MacBook Pro are attached). When I use the iMac (on my account on it), I can log in to my account on the MacBook Pro, which is often very useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.