Potential New Apple User (From A Windows 10 User) Basic Questions, Please

Reaction score
Hello,

First time poster.
Happy Holidays.

Have a 2 year old Dell XPS 8900 desktop running W10 which is causing me all sorts of grief.
Think it's about time I seriously considered going with an Apple something.
Frankly, know nothing about Apple PC's. The last one we ever had was an Apple 2e !

So, have the following very basic questions, please:

a.Which model should I consider as being closest to my very typical Dell Desktop running Windows 10 ?
I don't do gaming; pretty basic stuff like word processing, light spreadsheets, and internet.
Don't want a Laptop.

b. Is it possible to somehow transfer all of my old backed up WORD files, and others to the new Apple ?
How ?
Do these transfers "really" work ? Is it "practical to do" ?
What won't I be able to transfer ?

I use Mozilla Thunderbird now for my eMails. Can I transfer these old saved ones ?

**Will I need a new eMail address ?

c. Can I use my present fairly good HDMI connected monitor ?
Is there an HDMI output ?
Or, best to just go with an Apple Monitor ? Why ?

d. Can I use my Logitech keyboard, which I really like ?

e. I read somewhere that the Mac's can run both the Apple OS and also Windows 10. True ?

Do they come with a pre-installed Windows 10 ?
Does this switching between work well ?
Caveats ?

f. Are there the typical USB Ports ?

What else should I be asking ? Thanks for help; much appreciated,

Much thanks,
Bob

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums, Bob.

Before answering as many of the questions as I can, I must inform you that the new owners of Mac-Forums have decided to close us down on 31 December 2017. So there's not much time left.

Which model should I consider

A Desktop. It is called an iMac and comes in two sizes, 21.5 and 27 inch. See the Apple Store site and click on Mac, then iMac to see lots of pretty pictures:https://www.apple.com/uk/

This the UK site. Don't know where you live, but if the Sates, then it's easy to sub us for uk.

Can I use my present fairly good HDMI connected monitor

No need. The iMac, as you will see has it's own monitor built into the computer and it's HiRes; but you can use your Dell monitor as a second monitor if you wish.
I use Mozilla Thunderbird now for my eMails. Can I transfer these old saved ones ?
. Yes

Will I need a new eMail address
. No.

Can I use my Logitech keyboard
. Yes. You may need to adjust to one or two key settings.

I read somewhere that the Mac's can run both the Apple OS and also Windows 10. True?

Yes and No - You can buy a version of Office for Mac or a 365 subscription service and use that. Or, if you want the whole Windows experience, this can be achieved in 2 ways - running Windows in a virtual environment or using Bootcamp where can boot into Mac OS or Windows OS.

Do they come with a pre-installed Windows 10
. No. See above.

Are there the typical USB Ports
. Yes. Depending on your requirements, you might need adapters, but USB ports do with all iMacs.

Is it possible to somehow transfer all of my old backed up WORD files, and others to the new Apple ?

Yes. Not enough space or time to go into all the details. Apart from transferring them, I should tell you that Apple can read Word/Excel/PowerPoint natively.

I think that covers most of your questions. Do please visit the Apple Store site. Also, within our own Forums here, go to the Home page and look for the Switchers' Thread. This is for people like yourself.

Here is the Link: http://www.mac-forums.com/switcher-hangout/

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To add to what Ian has already told you, when you first boot a new Mac it goes through a quick setup routine. At one point it asks if you want to migrate data from another source. Take advantage of that offer. The migration will be done and once completed you will find all of those files in your new Mac account. Here is an Apple article on how to do it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Great response from both Ian and Jake. Hope you enjoy the Mac experience and sorry about the inconvenience of our forums shutting down on Dec 31st.

Reaction score
Great response from both Ian and Jake. Hope you enjoy the Mac experience and sorry about the inconvenience of our forums shutting down on Dec 31st.
First time Mac user here also. My advice, after suffering with Microsoft since the mid 80's, get a Mac and get it now. I promise you won't regret it. I hesitated making the move to Mac for many years, affraid the transition would be difficult....it isn't. Just let the Mac be a Mac, make an honest attempt at understanding why/how, forget all you know about windows and you'll be just fine.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi Robert11, as you can see this site is still running so if you have any additional questions not already addressed you're welcome to keep this thread running until Penton finally get around to closing it as promised.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7,4gb ram 500 hd
I switched to Mac when windows vista came out and had so many issues with windows vista and needed a reliable laptop, so my friend gave me his Apple iBook and I have since progressed to a MacBook pro and will never go back to windows

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.