Mac apple I'd and email

Reaction score
I would like to update my os or any other update really. But when I go to update anything from iTunes to my os it asks for my apple id, I have to reset everytime I try. Then it asks for my email address associated with apple. Which I have no idea.

I traded in my old pc like 5 years ago for a mac. It has been the worst decision in my life. I hate it and want to just throw it in the trash.

If anyone can help me figure out how to get into my account it would be appreciated. Like I said, I haven't the slightest idea where to begin.
Thanks Joe

OP
Z
Reaction score
I cannot even open a new tab to try and search anything on it. It says that the site ie, amazon or ebay for instance, is unstable and unsupported by my os, and I cannot change the settings no matter what.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I will be the first to admit, I am not too savvy when it comes to technology. And I have an old email address an aol one. So it won't let me update my email for an apple email update. So I am stuck back 5 or 6 yrs back with no updates on my mac, I can't put new songs on my ipod because I cannot sign into my apple account.
I used to be pretty good on my PC, could run different applications for downloading live music via a hub and be able to do all types of stuff, but all that is now gone and I feel like I am back to square one, I have no idea on this POS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you have so many problems with your Mac. And to tolerate them for five years is a display of true patience. However, if you have lost access to your AppleiD, you will have to ask Apple to restore it for you. And to do that, you will have to be able to prove to Apple that you are the actual owner of that account. I would suggest that you call Apple support (the process is on the Apple support page at Apple.com), be patient with them and simply provide what they ask for as proof. If you bought it from Apple, they may only need the serial number, but if you bought it from somewhere else, you may have to provide other proof. It's a security issue to make sure you are you and that you actually are the person associated with that AppleID.

But frankly, if you haven't been able to adjust to the Mac and the way it works in five years, I would just sell it and go back to the PC where you are comfortable. When you get to the point of calling something a POS because you can't or won't learn it, there is no point in continuing with it. And five years is a good run for a laptop (assuming it's a laptop, you didn't say). Just dump it and call it a day.

OP
Z
Reaction score
You are correct, I was very frustrated last night and my impatience got the best of me. I do apologize.

It is not a laptop but a full on Mac, that replaced my dell desktop tower. I thought I had learned the pc so well that a Mac would be no problem, plus the rumors of no viruses, and I liked the idea of no tower, it was promising.

They offered classes but since I lived out of state in WY any type of local class was restricted. So it's not a small purchase, it was several thousand dollars.

I will contact apple support by phone. And go from there. Thanks for your reply.

It took me at least a year to even figure out how to copy and paste. Also, with a PC I could check my HD and access it and clean it out. Know where every item on my HD was. On the Mac it is a mystery still.

So yeah, a full out replacement of this may be my best option.

OP
Z
Reaction score
But with that being said, one should be able to get into their account and update their system without having to jump through hoops turn around 3 times on their left foot while reciting the alphabet backwards. Just seems not very user friendly. Now I will have to set up yet another apple account with another email address, probably have to spend X amount of money on one thing or another just to continue to be able to use a home computer.
I can'timagine trying to transfer my info from this pile of garbage onto another system. That too, I am sure they will try to squeeze a few bills out of me too.

I for one will never own an apple product again.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Can't update adobe, can't update OS. Maybe if I just send Steve Jobs estate a Check for x amount of money I will be able to use MY MAC.

Mac is super slow, can't go into start functions and stop programs from starting at start up. Once you do, it automatically puts them back in place.
I always get the spinning wheel of death when ever I try and do anything. I can't wait to run this thing over with a tractor and leave it outside an apple store, hopefully it embeds into the pavement as to ward off others from making the mistake I did.

Seems like from other threads here, not an uncommon complaint.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Sad thing is, I can't even get to apple support without a user name and password word, no problem but when I enter that then it asks for an email address.

If someone would just let me know where to send a money order to so I will be able to use my personal computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
All of your trouble goes back to the fact that in five years you haven't logged into your AppleID account to do anything, have it registered with an email you no longer remember, and are trying to treat your Mac as if it were a Windows machine. If you had your account ID and password, you wouldn't have to do anything but log in, download your updates and be off and running.

BTW, in your post #1, you mentioned iTunes. iTunes is NOT how to update your Mac. Never was. Depending on what machine you have and what version of the OS you have, the Mac App store is where you update that system, which you do NOT get to through iTunes. iTunes is for managing an iPhone or iPad, not the Mac itself.

Depending on your version of the OS, to get to the store, click on the  in the upper left corner of the screen, then on the "App store" item and provide the AppleID and password of your account (no email required, no gyrations nor any special steps, just an AppleID and a password).

But frankly, and this is my strongest suggestion, if I were you I'd just sell it and go back to Windows. You sound like you have never been and will never be a happy Apple user. Life is too short to have that kind of hassle. If you want to be a Windows user, go do it. But there is no need to destroy your Mac, just sell it to someone who will bother to learn how to use it as it is designed to be used.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I to am sorry to hear of your problems with your Mac but I fear that you will find that many of your issues with the Mac will be exactly the same on a new Windows PC. The industry has moved on a long way in 5 years. Windows 10 requires all of the same security measures to do anything. An allocated MS email address and a password. In these days of two step verification and trusted devices for account authorisations I truly think you would be better off keeping the device you have and learning how to use it. To say it took you a year to learn how to copy and paste indicates that you are either very resistant to acquiring new knowledge or you don't know where to look for the help you need.
Your device is also at an age which is close to the average lifespan for an internal hard drive.
My suggestion would be to utilise an external USB hard drive to transfer as much of your data to as possible. Using the built in Time Machine application would be a good option IF you intend to continue with Mac devices. It will copy all of your data as a backup.
You could then erase your Mac from the Restore partition, perform a clean reinstall of the operating system. As a part of that process you can create a new Apple ID to be used for the App Store and iTunes and reinstall your data from your Time Machine backup.
Believe me this process is much easier to perform with a Mac than a PC. In point of fact Windows does not even have a built in app like Time Machine.
Let us know what you decide. We will happily walk you through the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Sad thing is, I can't even get to apple support without a user name and password word, no problem but when I enter that then it asks for an email address.

Did it occur to you to try and just call Apple Customer Support by phone???

Then you can talk to a real and understanding person.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Phew! The Mac has been so easy for me. Sorry to hear about all the trouble you've had. Updates are a breeze, simple when you know how.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 i7,4gb ram 500 hd
I am very happy I switched to Mac a while ago, easiest and most enjoyable computer to use. Took a little while to relearn some things and how they work.... but if you are willing to learn the new way of doing things and the easier way of doing things you will find the Mac OS is much easier and far more user friendly and stable than any of the microsoft os's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.