I have an important question about the iPhone SE please

Reaction score
So since I’ve decided that I’m returning my new Apple Watch I’ve thought about the option of exchanging it for the iPhone SE too. My other options of course is the custom AirPods and lastly would be a small compact 11.6 inch touch screen laptop but if I decided to exchange it for the iPhone SE I know that model is nearing the end of its life span so would I be over paying if I got the 128g iphone SE directly from Apple unlocked for $449? If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know. I’ve heard of people getting the SE much cheaper than this price before but typically through carriers and not directly from Apple unlocked. I just was not sure if $449 for a 128g model was too much to pay knowing that this model is about to either be replaced or either be totally discontinued all together. If anyone has any advice on this please let me know and I thank you in advanced.

David

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to wait until next year. Apple has been rumored to be producing an SE 2 with a more powerful CPU, more memory, and better speed. Of course that will likely cost more. Personally, I would not pay $449 for the current SE. There are unlocked SE phones available from carriers, Amazon, and elsewhere. I've seen them brand new unlocked for less than $400. And if you can use a 64GB model, the cost is lower than $300.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You've posted in other threads that you have iPhone 8. So why would you need/want an iPhone SE as well?

OP
D
Reaction score
You might want to wait until next year. Apple has been rumored to be producing an SE 2 with a more powerful CPU, more memory, and better speed. Of course that will likely cost more. Personally, I would not pay $449 for the current SE. There are unlocked SE phones available from carriers, Amazon, and elsewhere. I've seen them brand new unlocked for less than $400. And if you can use a 64GB model, the cost is lower than $300.

That’s a great idea about amazon for checking for the lower price point. I’m going to do that now actually. That is to jump on amazon and see what they have. I’m on the fence about whether we will see another SE model ever again as I think what will now happen is that the original iPhone 6 design that we still today see done with the iPhone 8 will become the new SE optional and cheaper model iPhone. They will in fact drop the four inch option and the 4.7 inch design will take the place as the more affordable iPhone and also be the smallest iPhone Apple will have in nexts years line up. That’s a really good idea as I was going to be heading over to Apple in a little while and I really still wasn’t sure at this point what I was going to do but I was leaning towards the 128g which would basically be an even exchange as the $449 is exactly wagat I paid for my watch or I could get the 32g at $399 but I still feel like both are overpriced but that’s because I’d be buying directly from Apple

OP
D
Reaction score
You've posted in other threads that you have iPhone 8. So why would you need/want an iPhone SE as well?

I actually do have the iPhone 8 and on the 29th I’ll be placing my order for the iPhone X too. What I had planned to do with the SE is totally make it a secondary back up phone or a to turn it into an enhanced version of the iPod Touch to be honest but I’d also have the luxury to actually use it as a phone too say for example I new I was going to be gone all day and into the night i then would just swap my SIM card into the SE as I’ve ownef it and the 5s before and the SE for one is the best smallest phone you can get on the market and I’d use it to be a phone that I could very easily put it in my pocket with it being very obscure and so small that it would never get. in the way if I had to carry it around with me for the entire day and we’ll inti that night which does happen on occasion. Plus my plan for it was to basically be my enhanced version of me having an iPod Touch as the SE is roughly the same size but it of course is cellular so all my downloaded music i would keep on the SE and it also has a headphone jack so it truly would be my iPad touch and a occasional secondary phone for days when I didn’t want to carry anything big in my pocket alll day long. I think it would act as a great iPod Touch device but just happen to be cellular too.

OP
D
Reaction score
Between the Apple Series 3 Watch and the iphone SE 128g, which of those two do you guys recommend that I get? I’m really torn between the two but after being with tech support the Apple Watch is lacking features that I thought it would had have. That said should I go for the SE instead as I know I’ll use it in rotation with my other iPhones as the SE has its time and place to be used. It’s the best compact phone on the market but as someone above stated that Apple release a upgraded version of it which the current SE is all the phone I need. I’ll slso be using it as my full blown iPod Touch too. So what do you guys think i should get between the two? Thanks for any advice and help with this decision.

David

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
David, have you tried this swapping of SIM card process that you propose. I predict that you may have setup issues if you use any account verification apps like Google Authenticator and or Two Step Verification for your Apple ID. I found it difficult enough just upgrading one phone. For those services that SMS verification codes you should be fine but for the services that require a "trusted" device you may have trouble establishing more than one mobile phone.

OP
D
Reaction score
David, have you tried this swapping of SIM card process that you propose. I predict that you may have setup issues if you use any account verification apps like Google Authenticator and or Two Step Verification for your Apple ID. I found it difficult enough just upgrading one phone. For those services that SMS verification codes you should be fine but for the services that require a "trusted" device you may have trouble establishing more than one mobile phone.

Hi there. Yes I have tried it having had owned multiple iPhones as long as I have them all linked up to each other everything works fine as it automatically recognizes each phone to be a trusted device since they are signed in to the same iCloud account like I currently have them set. So when I initially add a device I only have to go through the special text message Apple code to initially sign in but after that it always is recognized as a primary device when I’m using it with my SIM card. The rest of my iPhones stays signed in as well through WiFi so when I get a text it comes to each device I have so I can pick up any device to include my iPad to respond to the text. So it’s the initial set up that takes the longest but after that it’s just a simple SIM card swap and I’m good to.

On that note I just got back from the Apple store with the iPhone SE as I exchanged my Apple Watch for the 128g model in space grey. It’s actu really nice to have the SE again with its compact one handed use size. I won’t use it daily but there will be times that I go through where it’ll be my primary device plus I plan to turn it into my full blown iPod Touch as it’s the same exact size as the regular iPod Touch so technically I just now have an enhanced version of an iPod Touch. So I’ve got several uses for it. I’ll post some pics of a couple of cases that I got absolutely killer deals on.

OP
D
Reaction score
Here’s some of the cases I have for the SE which I got a steal on the Red leather Apple case and the sky Blue leather Apple case. I think I’m going to take the brown leather Apple case back and put that cash towards another Vaja case but one for the SE as I have one for my iPhone 8 now. Here are some pics. My favorite case out of all of them is the Red leather Apple case which I was able to get it and the sky blue for only $9.99 a piece! I paid regular price for the brown one leather Apple case but I would much rather have a leather Vaja for the money I paid for the brown leather Apple case. I won’t find a Vaja as cheap as $39 dollars but I can at least use that cash to put towards a another Vaja case but this one will be for the new SE I just got.

I have lots more SE cases that I have collected since the SE first was released as I owned it back then also plus combined with all the iPhone 5s cases that fit the SE too and I’ve compiled a ton of cases but after getting my first Vaja case not long ago I now know just how amazing the Vaja cases are. Hand made and the quality is absolutely unmatched. I’ll definitely be getting a Vaja for the SE. I’ll use this SE on occasion but my iPhone 8 will be my main phone that I use. This SE is a secondary phone that will have its time and place for when I’ll use it but I’ll use it all the time as an iPod Touch. That’s why I chose the 128g to have lots of room to download music with I’ve never done before as I typically stream everything but the SE is so compact that I can download my entire music list and not have to worry about space and also then be able to use it to listen to music or podcasts that I’ve downloaded when I’m not on WiFi or have my SIM card in it. Right now my SIM card is in it because it’s like a new toy but as soon as the newness wears off my SIM will go back into my iPhone 8 which is my favorite iPhone of all time. I absolutely love the new 8. If I ever am able to order the iphone 10 from my carrier which now they are going back on their word to me and not wanting to honor what they told me so I may end up keeping my limited edition Red iPhone 7 so my line up will be the 8, the Red 7 and the SE

19E04FBC-C597-4395-9379-2DDA5EC5A1B0.jpeg

F7E84641-3FD7-4E39-840F-07B58998A0AB.jpeg

51391369-E19F-4834-B729-E77E83A60F50.jpeg

B5EFD1D5-5227-4507-866A-8DAF6C1C07E9.jpeg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.