Using a splitter

Reaction score
I bought a splitter for the headphone jack in my Macbook Air so that I could use a mic I bought.

Photo on 19-12-2017 at 4.03 PM.jpg

The mic is too thick for the mac jack so i bought an adaptor to 3.5mm

Photo on 19-12-2017 at 4.03 PM #2.jpg

when it's all plugged in like this it doesn't work.

Photo on 19-12-2017 at 4.02 PM #2.jpg

I go to system preferences to choose input and there is only option for built in microphone.

Does anyone know why it might not be showing up??

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for the pics. If I'm understanding your pictures correctly, the large 1/4" connector is the one for the microphone. If that assumption is correct keep reading.

Without knowing your specific MacBook Air model I can't be 100% sure but here is what I think is happening. The jack on your MacBook Air is a combined headphone and microphone jack. One connector has to carry both signals. The small end of the connector in your first picture seems to be the right kind (4 pole connector). The problem is that the larger connector looses part of the signal as it travels through the various adapters.

I think this adapter will work for what you want to do. It should be available from several places. It is a 3.5 mm. 4 pole connector to 1/4" female connector. Plug the microphone into that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Yeah the microphone cable is a tip/sleeve, and it's being plugged into a tip ring sleeve which is a no no. That's one big reason it won't work.

Slydude has it right.

The adapter description is TRRS > TS

Or... tip ring ring sleeve to tip sleeve.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for confirming my suspicions Groovetube.

@Claudibird Depending upon what you are trying to record it might be easier to simply pick up a mic with a different connector -- especially if the adapter I linked to doesn't work. As a general rule the fewer adapters/convertors you have to push audio or video signals through the better.

Edit: Wow, when I posted last night I didn't realize how much that adapter costs. For about the same amount of money you could pick up a USB mic that should work with your Mac. See some of these for example.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
^^ yup I didn't see the cost either.

I find with the Apple Jacks it's better to play by its rules converting it has mixed results! I have rarely tangled with that jack for a reason none of my recording mics will like it and then there's impedance mismatching fun to complicate matters!

A USB mic is the best idea!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Why not just purchase a proper and compatible USB or wireless microphone and bypass all the adapter hassles. Many are self contained and stereo capable as well.

Opps, sorry Groovetube , I see you already mentioned that.

The logitech USB microphone we purchased some years ago (for desktop use) was really excellent and was noise canceling as well as stereo capable. About $30.00± as I recall

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.