Pockmarks/pits in aluminum body of Macbook Pro

Reaction score
I noticed there are little black pits scattered across the bottom aluminum covering of my Macbook Pro. I have never used cleaners on the body of my mac, and I have had a clear hard plastic case on it ever since I got it. I have a mid 2014 13-inch Macbook Pro with retina display. Any ideas on what's causing this?

I attached pictures: one is zoomed in a little more to show details. And for reference, the pits are not bigger than ~1mm in diameter. Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 9.41.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 9.41.15 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

The marks appear to be caused by corrosion which can occur if you used a case and moisture got between the case and the aluminum body. Putting any kind of case on a Mac with an aluminum body is fine as long as you remove the case occasionally - like when you use the machine at home. I'm not sure how you can remove those marks. Perhaps someone else may know.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I agree; and have this to add:

Apple designates MacBooks as Notebooks - not Laptops. They are meant to be used on a flat surface, like a table, because the vented hot air is downwards. Not rested on a lap, not on a cushion and never on bedclothes.

Not saying this applies to you, but the point is that vented hot air could get trapped between the case and the body where it would condense on the Aluminium surface - as Admin chscag said.

Whilst Aluminium is said to be corrosion resistant, it's probably an alloy on the MacBook.

Ian

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you want to try to remove the spots, I would suggest some automobile polishing compound. Get the one with the finest texture, probably one made for the final polishing. Use it gently and sparingly.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I guess I didn't know that I should have been taking the case off to let it breath. It makes sense though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.