Launching Apps from Dock

Reaction score
Since updating to High Sierra neither THE Mail or Calendar will launch from the icons in the dock. Mail starts to open, theres a quick flash of the mail screen and it shuts. The calendar icon bounces but does not launch. Both are accessible via Safari but I'd rather use the dock. All other apps launch albeit slightly slower than they used to. Im guessing that somehow they have become corrupt but I'm not an expert. Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Try dragging them to Trash then reloading from Finder > Applications.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What Mac? What version of OS X/macOS? Have you tried launching the apps from the Applications folder in Finder? Try booting into Safe Mode and launching the apps. Are these the only two apps that fail to launch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Pitch it into Trash again, do a reboot and try once more.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@IanCann

Welcome.

Does the Mail app open normally if you go through Finder > Applications > Mail?

The reason I ask is partly to determine the integrity of the Mail app and partly to understand your remark in post #1:

Both are accessible via Safari

The Mail app would not be accessible via Safari although you could use Safari to go to the website of your mail account.

Ian

OP
I
Reaction score
Finally fixed. Yes your assumption was right I was accessing my mail directly via its website. Thanks for your assistance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.