Resizing attachments

Reaction score
How do i reduce the size of a document with pictures so that i can attach it easily to an email message?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums.

What sort of document we are talking about? PDF? Word? something else? Depending on the document type, there might be ways of exporting them into lower resolution documents that will reduce the file size but have an adverse effect on the quality of the text and images.

Most email servers allow for fairly large files, but if your file exceeds those generous limits, you might want to consider a cloud file sharing service like Box, Dropbox, etc., where you can upload the file and then email a link to your recipient.

OP
B
Reaction score
It is 3 separate pages of a document with pictures created using "pages". i thought I could save it in a smaller size but since I upgraded to the High Sierra I cannot determine where to downsize each page. The pages will not open in preview. The first page downsized to 52MB in the mail, but that seems very large for an email file and I wish to send a three pages altogether. I was thinking maybe 7MB each would work. Any suggestions? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Is PDF an option? I have a 32Mb Pages doc that goes down to 8Mb when exported to PDF.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For sharing, you are likely better off converting files to a generic format like PDFs..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Or you can re-create the documents and shrink each individual image using whatever created them in the first place. If they are pictures that can be opened in Preview, that can be used to shrink the picture size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I was able to save as a pdf file and that worked nicely. Thank you

Good to hear, and if needed or in the future, you may be able to reduce its files size further using a utility or just with what you already have.
This should still work:
Reduce the File Size of PDF Documents with Preview in Mac OS
http://osxdaily.com/2013/12/12/reduce-pdf-file-size-preview-mac/

And if you need more suggestions, try some of the hits from here:
https://www.google.ca/search?client...F-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=nFsvWpKlI6yW8QecjpWgDw

PS: You Mac also has a right-click "compact" option which will create a .zip file of the selected file, but probably won't do much as a .pdf file is usually already pretty well compressed.

- Patrick
======

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you all smooch for your suggestions and solutions. The pdf. worked great.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In case you or anyone else is not aware......

You can easily send large documents and files using a method in Mac Mail called "Mail Drop". There is no need to convert to PDF or use compression. Read up on Mail Drop.

By the way, I use that method quite often especially with certain documents when converting them to PDF does not work or lend itself to the receiving person.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.