Massive problem - after latest update, Mac doesn’t open Finder, top bar doesn’t load.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
So, updated last night, didn’t really get a chance to use the computer. Fired it up this morning and, yeah, nothing works. Like, it turns on, I get the usual Apple logo to load, and type in my password. It goes to the desktop and...can’t do anything. The top bar doesn’t load, the icons at the bottom are all there on the Dock but Finder isn’t default loaded as usual.

What the **** can I do? In two years I’ve never had a problem with my Mac. Now? Totally nerfed.

P.S. - when I tried Safe Mode, it was the same. When I tried clicking the finder it told me: “The application finder can’t be opened.” Argh!

P.P.S. - and now my Mac seems stuck in a startup loop. It asks for the password, I give it, start to go to the desktop, Dock pops up halfway, then the screen kicks out, and I’m back at the login screen. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Bit difficult, but what did you actually update, apps or operating system, from what to what, where did you download this update from and did you get a message from the App Store to update?

If this was an operating system update, do you have a current backup on an external drive, and did you run Disk First Aid from Recovery to make sure the drive is operating correctly? Did you do a clean install after erasing the drive, or just upgrade?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Bit difficult, but what did you actually update, apps or operating system, from what to what, where did you download this update from and did you get a message from the App Store to update?

If this was an operating system update, do you have a current backup on an external drive, and did you run Disk First Aid from Recovery to make sure the drive is operating correctly? Did you do a clean install after erasing the drive, or just upgrade?

I did the latest High Sierra upgrade that came out yesterday, so, for the OS. I do not have a current backup (I have backed up data, but not a Time Machine backup). Did not do a clean install after erasing the disk. The update came through the App Store app.

Further note: tried Recovery mode, and the computer goes though loading the Apple Llogo, then it goes to a blank screen. Then nothing. If I hard restart the computer, it will go back to the regular login screen, but then I’m back at the login loop I have now. I’m panicking! Help!

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Further note: tried Internet Recovery, got the spinning globe which loaded, then the computer finished that process, gave me the regular Apple loading logo, and when that finished, I got a blank black screen. Gah!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sure looks like your hard drive has failed. The first symptoms you described were a clue that the drive had problems. Now it appears that it completely failed which is why nothing works. Hopefully you have some sort of a backup and can get hold of another hard drive there in Budapest. Your Mac Mini would run a lot better and faster with a SSD installed.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Moar update: I used Cmd+Opt+Shift+R to recover, made it finally to recovery mode, and now I’m running First Aid on the main Macintosh HD. So...we’ll see.

Update: First Aid, naturally, did nothing. So, I guess I should reinstall the OS?

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sure looks like your hard drive has failed. The first symptoms you described were a clue that the drive had problems. Now it appears that it completely failed which is why nothing works. Hopefully you have some sort of a backup and can get hold of another hard drive there in Budapest. Your Mac Mini would run a lot better and faster with a SSD installed.

Yeah, I know, and I can get that here, just...I’m a university teacher, in the midst of finals and term papers. I literally don’t have time for this! As said, while no TM backup, all my actual class files and such are clouded and external drive backed, so no worries there at least.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update Again: tried the recovery option I noted above, and I wanted it to install Yosemite, which I guess it did. When it tried to start up I got the install screen again, and it tells me I can’t install because the OS X is a newer version. Going to try restart and see what happens...

Update update: nothing. Tells me I can’t install, so, even restarting, I come back to this install screen. Jesus, this is awful and I don’t know what to do and now I have to go to work.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I can imagine this is really tragic timing for you but you have only one choice here. That is to reinstall the existing Operating System. When you are in the restore partition you should see a central window with four options. One of those should be Reinstall Mac OS. It is only necessary to hold the Command and the R key until the Apple logo appears. I cannot imagine why it would offer Yosemite it should offer the current running macOS.
It does sound as though your HD may be dieing so reinstalling simply may not work but it is your only chance to retrieve your data.
The options if this does not work are to remove the internal HD, install a new one, obtain a bootable installer in the form of a thumb drive or similar to install a fresh new macOS on your new HD then mount your old HD in an external usb enclosure and try to retrieve your old data which may or may not be possible.
This could all have been avoided by investing in the software and a dedicated external HD to clone your internal drive to. I strongly advise everyone to do this. My wife ran her business on a laptop running from a clone of her HD for nearly a month before we were able to replace her deceased internal HD a couple of years ago. I know this is not any comfort to you now but when you see how complex it is to recover from a failed HD without a backup or a secondary computer you can understand why we harp on backups.
Do you by chance have another Mac computer? If so it may be possible to access your data via Target Disk mode. You could also create a bootable macOS installer which would be very handy even if you need to replace the HD.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can imagine this is really tragic timing for you but you have only one choice here. That is to reinstall the existing Operating System. When you are in the restore partition you should see a central window with four options. One of those should be Reinstall Mac OS. It is only necessary to hold the Command and the R key until the Apple logo appears. I cannot imagine why it would offer Yosemite it should offer the current running macOS.
It does sound as though your HD may be dieing so reinstalling simply may not work but it is your only chance to retrieve your data.
The options if this does not work are to remove the internal HD, install a new one, obtain a bootable installer in the form of a thumb drive or similar to install a fresh new macOS on your new HD then mount your old HD in an external usb enclosure and try to retrieve your old data which may or may not be possible.
This could all have been avoided by investing in the software and a dedicated external HD to clone your internal drive to. I strongly advise everyone to do this. My wife ran her business on a laptop running from a clone of her HD for nearly a month before we were able to replace her deceased internal HD a couple of years ago. I know this is not any comfort to you now but when you see how complex it is to recover from a failed HD without a backup or a secondary computer you can understand why we harp on backups.
Do you by chance have another Mac computer? If so it may be possible to access your data via Target Disk mode. You could also create a bootable macOS installer which would be very handy even if you need to replace the HD.

No extra Mac, sadly. And as said, I know I needed a TM backup, but didn’t. Which just goes to show. As stated, so far, recovery options haven’t worked. Last thing I’ll try is to erase the HD maybe, then reinstall the OS from the internet. Is that doable, or would I need a thumb drive to do it?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Restoring from the Internet, via Command + Option + R, will - if it can - install the Operating System that was on the Mac when it first shipped. Which is possibly why it was trying to download/install Yosemite?

Using Command + R takes you to Recovery where there is the option to download the OS currently on your Mac.

I know this must be an agonising time for you; but your many attempts to enter "Recovery" and "Internet Recovery" lead me to suspect that the Hard Drive is broken to a point where an installation of an OS is unlikely to be successful. Terribly sorry.

Of course, try the Internet Recovery option again by all means (Cmd + Opt + R), but remember (a) even if successful, will take a long, long time (b) this installs the system that came with your Mac when it was new (c) it may not happen, i.e. fail.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Restoring from the Internet, via Command + Option + R, will - if it can - install the Operating System that was on the Mac when it first shipped. Which is possibly why it was trying to download/install Yosemite?

Using Command + R takes you to Recovery where there is the option to download the OS currently on your Mac.

I know this must be an agonising time for you; but your many attempts to enter "Recovery" and "Internet Recovery" lead me to suspect that the Hard Drive is broken to a point where an installation of an OS is unlikely to be successful. Terribly sorry.

Of course, try the Internet Recovery option again by all means (Cmd + Opt + R), but remember (a) even if successful, will take a long, long time (b) this installs the system that came with your Mac when it was new (c) it may not happen, i.e. fail.

Ian

Yeh, I know it may truly be dead, but I will try. If it is, then, there’s an authorized repair place near my office; at worst, I’ll pony up for an SSD. It’ll be a business expense so no skin off my nose. Just super extra double frustrating.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a mini-update. I got into recovery and erased things, so, now install Yosemite. Naturally, I’ll upgrade from there. As said, luckily, my important documents, pictures and what not are already back up, so, no worries there. With luck, by the time I go to be tonight, all will be well. Thanks for the advice all, and here’s hoping my HD isn’t borked!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good luck! Fingers crossed.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck! Fingers crossed.

Ian

Thanks for that. I’m staring at the screen now, and it’s say 22 supposed minutes remaining to the High Sierra upgrade. So, obviously, Yosemite installed fine. And now HS...

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And it worked! Still have to reinstall a bunch of stuff, but otherwise, all came out well. So, that was good. Thanks to folks here. Advice let me calm down to do what I needed. Which no repairs necessary!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonderful. Well done.

Just keep an eye on that HDD.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That's great news. It would not be the first time an update has mucked up an Operating System so perhapes that was the case for you this time however i hop you will take this as a lesson. As clearly stated in one of our members footnotes, "it is not a matter of if your HD will crash but when."
As mentioned a clone will have you up and running again in minutes if your HD irrevocably crashes.
We advise Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper as cloning software both of which will cost you about $50.00 and a external HD to house the backup around twice the size of your internal HD.
I have a 500Gb HD so I use a 1Tb USB external HD with CCC available from the developers here; https://bombich.com/download
Obviously this measure also protects you from physical damage as well as theft.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's great news. It would not be the first time an update has mucked up an Operating System so perhapes that was the case for you this time however i hop you will take this as a lesson. As clearly stated in one of our members footnotes, "it is not a matter of if your HD will crash but when."
As mentioned a clone will have you up and running again in minutes if your HD irrevocably crashes.
We advise Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper as cloning software both of which will cost you about $50.00 and a external HD to house the backup around twice the size of your internal HD.
I have a 500Gb HD so I use a 1Tb USB external HD with CCC available from the developers here; https://bombich.com/download
Obviously this measure also protects you from physical damage as well as theft.

Once there's some extra cash lying around (Christmas is here, after all) I will be doing something like that. Thanks for the recommendations!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.