Safari loads but immediately crashes on my mac

Reaction score
I can't get Safari to stay open. Sometimes it doesn't load at all, sometimes it loads but then crashes when you try to use it. I have searched for advice and do not have a library/preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist file. i have also moved third party add-on folders to the trash and tried again but still it doesn't work so i have put them back. I'm using OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Yes, you do have that file. Safari creates it the first time it is opened. It is impossible to not have that file except for the time between when you intentionally delete it and reopen Safari. You're probably not looking in the correct Library folder.

Hold down Option and click the Go Menu. Then select Library there.

OP
S
Reaction score
Safari keeps crashng

Yes, you do have that file. Safari creates it the first time it is opened. It is impossible to not have that file except for the time between when you intentionally delete it and reopen Safari. You're probably not looking in the correct Library folder.

Hold down Option and click the Go Menu. Then select Library there.

OK, I tried that and followed your instructions but could not find that file despite searching for it in the search box therefore it's not in the library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
did you also look for it manually? the spotlight search, I've found, isn't too reliable at actually finding stuff!

in my >library > preferences folder, it's about 2/3 of the way down the list along with around 10-12 other safari plist files / folders.

Are you trying to open Safari from the icon in your dock? Just asking as the photos icon in my dock somehow became corrupted and photos wouldn't open from it. Try opening Safari by double clicking on it in the list of Applications in Finder - see if that changes anything???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I tried that and followed your instructions but could not find that file despite searching for it in the search box therefore it's not in the library?

No, it must be in the User's Library/Preferences folder. There is no possible way that it is not if you have ever opened Safari.

The procedure I gave you is the best way to access that particular Library folder, as it is hidden from the User otherwise.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@shesoutrunning

I've attached some screenshots to illustrate how you get to the .plist file.

First: start with a clear Desktop

Now, hold down the Option key on your keyboard and, whilst holding this down, click on "Go" from the the top menu bar.

This is what you will see:

S1+.jpg

Click on "Library"

Once in Library, scroll down to "Preferences" and then scroll down to "com.apple.Safari.plist"

As in these screenshots:

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 18.52.55.png

S2.png

And there you are.

The confusion is that there are different libraries........

Please post back.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've said this many times and I guess I should quit saying it.....

Why Apple has chosen to hide the user library but yet keep the system library visible is beyond me. Much more damage to the overall system can be accomplished by accidentally removing or changing something in the system library than the user library.

I usually recommend unhiding the user library by invoking a terminal command and leave it that way:

chflags nohidden ~/library/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Because most people do not understand the consequences of their actions.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Because most people do not understand the consequences of their actions.

Not to argue the point... but as I said above more damage can occur by messing with your System Library. Why hide one and not the other?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have now found it!
what do i do next - move it to trash?

Yes.

Quit out of Safari. Trash the plist file. Reopen Safari.

And keep us updated please.

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
Quick update - i moved the com.apple.Safari.plist to the trash and tried again to load Safari from Finder. It crashed again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not to argue the point... but as I said above more damage can occur by messing with your System Library. Why hide one and not the other?
Charlie, I suspect it was done because more people would see the Library in their home space than would see the System Library. And by mucking about in the home Library, they could cause problems for their applications, end up calling Apple support. So Apple hid it to cut down on the calls.

The System library is at the root of the drive, a place the average user doesn't go.

OP
S
Reaction score
can anyone suggest what to do next? have tried deleting that file but Safari still crashes when you try to use it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe it's time to reinstall Yosemite. That would give you a fresh copy of Safari.

OP
S
Reaction score
I don't know how to reinstall Yosemite or what repercussions it might have?
What if I upgraded to High Sierra - would that solve the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And by mucking about in the home Library, they could cause problems for their applications, end up calling Apple support. So Apple hid it to cut down on the calls.

I read some apple official developer type thing several years ago that said THAT was exactly why they hid the users Library, to cut down on the number of support calls, and mainly due to users mucking about with their Photos Library and also their iTunes Library.

But I still agree with Charlie and have also questioned why Apple does so many things that often don't make any sense — at least not to my old curmudgeon's brain!!! :Blushing:

PS: Maybe I missed it, but I didn't notice any suggestion to use it's Reset Safariif it'll stay open long enough to do so.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know how to reinstall Yosemite or what repercussions it might have?
What if I upgraded to High Sierra - would that solve the problem?

I would suggest you follow Bob's (ferrarr) advice.

The combo update simply re-downloads and installs the last and latest version of Yosemite on top of your current version. Follow his link, click on download and let it do its job.

Your data is safe. But allowing for any rare difficulty, I'm sure you already have at least a Time Machine backup and perhaps even a cloned backup, so no problem. You won't need it I'm sure but always essential to have that backup.

And upgrading to macOS High Sierra is a big jump - lots of changes. Again an up to date backup would be essential.

Your choice. I'd go the Combo route before upgrading unless you specifically want High Sierra, of course.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'd go the Combo route before upgrading unless you specifically want High Sierra, of course.
Ian

+1. Especially as installing any OS upgrade is no guarantee it will "fix" a previous OS's non-working, possibly corrupt app. Too many installer changes to be made.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.