iphone account verification request

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5",mid2011,2.5 GHz,12 GB mem,OSX 10.13.6; iPhone SE; MacBook Air,early2015,1.6 GHz,4GB
I am not sure what model of iphone I have. When I go to settings/general/about, it gives me a bunch of stuff but not what it is. I have not installed the most recent update to IOS 11.2. Every new update seems to introduce things I will never use (such as Apple Pay Cash on the 11.2 update). I have

16 GB capacity
6.42 GB available
Version 11.1.1 (a5B150)
Model MLLN2VC/A

I recently updated to IOS 11 (about a week or so ago).

First question: periodically when I hit the home button (I think that is what the round button below the screen is called?), I get a message on the lock screen asking me to verify my account password. I have not entered it as I don't know why it is coming up and do not trust that it is not some kind of scam? I hit the home button again to type in my password to unlock the phone. The message goes away and does not come up again for awhile.

Second question: I have had the phone for just over a year. In the first year I only used about 5 MB of cellular data. I go to settings/cellular/cellular data and it gives me current useage data. I assume that current period refers to the total length of time I have had the phone, as it never goes down. In the last day or so I have used and additional 10 MB as under cellular data it now says 15 MB for the current period. My cellular data useage went up by 0.5 MB in about 30 minutes. I just noticed today that on the lock screen I get a message box that says "iPhone loading". It has a progress bar, which never moved, and a volume slider? Also rewind, forward buttons and a button which is either play or pause. Could this be what is using the cellular data? I turned my wifi on and off a couple of times and also turned the cellular data on and off. Currently wifi off and cellular data on and the message box seems to have gone away? Just checked again and have used 0.1 MB of cellular data in the time it took to type this post.

Thanks for any help
Dan

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5",mid2011,2.5 GHz,12 GB mem,OSX 10.13.6; iPhone SE; MacBook Air,early2015,1.6 GHz,4GB
15 minutes later and it says "loading iPhone" again. There is also a box in the top right corner of the quick access menu that says "Loading..." and has the forward, reverse and play/pause buttons below that. It was in the play position, so I paused it. Battery % is also dropping way faster than usual.
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That is a Canadian iPhone SE model number. You should update to iOS 11.2 as it fixes some serious bugs in the OS. It was released yesterday (December 2).

There are occasional pushes from both Apple and your cellular provider for what are known as "profile" updates. These updates are not supposed to be counted against your cellular data limits, but may show in the usage figures. Without more information on the "volume slider" it's not possible to say what that might be or why you might be seeing it. I've never seen the "loading iPhone" so I can't help with that. It might help if we knew what apps you have installed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
In my opinion, “current useage”, should be the current billing cycle, since that is propagated through your carrier. Do you ever look at your bill, data used?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPhone has no way of knowing the billing cycle of your carrier. The "current usage" is reset to zero by going to Settings/Cellular and then at the bottom of the scroll, "Reset Statistics." It also restarts if you change the SIM card, and maybe just remove it. (Not sure about that last as I've not tested it.) Right below the "Reset Statistics" button it will say when it was last reset.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I am in Canada. The "account verification" box asking me to confirm my Apple id password in settings came up again this morning. Again, I ignored it and it went away. If it is just Apple wanting me to update my profile, it does not concern me, and I will continue to ignore it.

I updated to IOS 11.2 last night and the "loading iphone" box has quit coming up on the lock screen. The box, in the top right corner of the quick access menu which was "loading iphone", now says "music".

I have 5 GB free data every month. I have never gone over and my bill does not show cellular useage. I have never reset the cellular data on my phone. After updating to IOS 11.2, the cellular data now says 5.6 GB current period. Under reset statistics, the last reset was Sept 12, 2016, which is the day I bought the phone.

I have no apps installed on my phone, except the standard ones that come on the phone. The only ones of those that I use are messages, camera, maps stocks and weather.

Thank you for the help and advice.

Dan

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I just checked my bill and it does show data useage. My varies between about 80 MB and 120 MB per month.

One more question, is there any way to tell, from the information I gave in the original post, which model iphone I have. I think it is either a 5 or a 6? I was going to update my profile to include it as well.

Thanks
Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I missed the SE in your first post. Thank you for the link.
Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.