Can't install Office 2003 w/ Boot Camp?

J

jochexum

Well I've had my Macbook Pro for about three weeks now and am really enjoying it. Boot Camp has run with but a few glitches and I love being able to boot up in XP. Now, trying to install Office 2003 (Microsoft version), the MBP won't read my install disc. I tried making a copy of the install disc with my PC and using the copied version to install, but it says the installation source is corrupt and won't finish the install. Has anyone else had a similar problem with this? Does anyone know a way around it? Thanks!

Reaction score
Office 2003 installed fine for me. Sounds like there is something wrong with your disks.

jochexum said:
Well I've had my Macbook Pro for about three weeks now and am really enjoying it. Boot Camp has run with but a few glitches and I love being able to boot up in XP. Now, trying to install Office 2003 (Microsoft version), the MBP won't read my install disc. I tried making a copy of the install disc with my PC and using the copied version to install, but it says the installation source is corrupt and won't finish the install. Has anyone else had a similar problem with this? Does anyone know a way around it? Thanks!

OP
L

lil

Sounds like it is something on the Windows end of things as opposed to the fact its in a MacBook Pro...

OP
J

jochexum

ilkevinli said:
Office 2003 installed fine for me. Sounds like there is something wrong with your disks.

Did you install it on a Macbook Pro?

The office disc worked fine when I installed it on my PC but the MBP just won't read it.

Reaction score
Yes I have it installed on my MacBook Pro

jochexum said:
Did you install it on a Macbook Pro?

The office disc worked fine when I installed it on my PC but the MBP just won't read it.

OP
J

jochexum

ilkevinli said:
Yes I have it installed on my MacBook Pro

Strange...do you think my disc is defective? Should I try to return it and get a different one? What edition of Office was yours?

Anyone else had problems or been able to install Office succesfully on XP w/ boot camp?

Reaction score
Mine is Office 2003 Pro w/ SP2

jochexum said:
Strange...do you think my disc is defective? Should I try to return it and get a different one? What edition of Office was yours?

Anyone else had problems or been able to install Office succesfully on XP w/ boot camp?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I am running Office 2003 PC edition on my imac with no problems. Disc installed fine. It is either a problem with your superdrive or the disc itself. If you are copying a bad disk to start with that may be why your copy isnt working.

Reaction score
office

im thinking of buying a macbook but i am not sure because i still want to use microsoft office aplications. If i buy the macbook can i install the microsoft office 2003 that i already have. will the applications work normally eg word,excel.

many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
You can buy the Mac version of office, which is Office 2004. However because it runs under rosetta its pretty slow. Microsoft is bringing out MS Office 2008 for mac which is a universal binary. This would make it much more faster and usable. I think MS Office 2008 is coming out in the first quarter of 2008 so between Jan and March

Reaction score

so i cant use office 2003 that i already have? what package comes with mac that would be similar to office and what sort of price?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, Office 2003 is for Windows and therefore can not be run on a Mac without software such as crossover.

When you buy a mac, you normally get a 30 day free trial of Office 2004 for mac. The Student and teacher edition is £100 so about $200. I'm not sure about the other versions tho.

You also get iwork 08, which has pages (like word), keynote (like powerpoint) and numbers (like excel).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
u get ms office 2004 for mac when you but new macs, the student and teacher version costs about 200 dollars. You also get iwork.

You can also download and install neooffice which is free open source alternative to ms office. I would use that until MS Office 2008 comes out for mac.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.