Upgrade for 2007 I Mac OS X 10.5.8

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That machine can be upgraded up to macOS El Capitan 10.11. However, the newer versions of macOS will likely take a toll on that machine and your experience might not be good. That machine is now 10+ years old. You might want to consider upgrading to a newer machine.

OP
C
Reaction score
2007 IMac

Thank you Ashwin, I appreciate your quick reply. I figured I would just have to buy a newer IMac. I’m looking on MacSales and they have really good machines at great prices. They are refurbished but I think that will be fine. May I ask you one more question? About my InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, do I have to buy new ones or can I get an upgrade for them. Thank you so much.

Charlotte

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Before going down other places, check out the official Apple Refurb store. The advantage is that you get the full warranty on these machines and they are essentially brand new. I'm not a Creative Suite user, but I know that the newer Mac will come with newer version of macOS which will require upgraded versions of all of your software. Now the CS suite has gone to the cloud, but either way you're looking to spend some money to upgrade your apps. Hopefully others more familiar with these applications will chime in and provide proper direction.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I will try the website you sent me. I really appreciate your help.

Charlotte

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I’m looking on MacSales and they have really good machines at great prices. They are refurbished but I think that will be fine.

Be aware that many times internet sites (even one of our favorites Macsales.com)...sell used Mac's at a large premium over what the exact used computer can be purchased for via ebay or Craig's List.

As an example. Macsales.com is selling a late 2012 iMac (21.5", 2.7ghz, 8gig Ram, 1TB HD) for $719:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/BJ1F5COB21XXC/

On eBay it can be had for around $450:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iMac...870716?hash=item2a978791bc:g:oI4AAOSwI59aHHrw

This is not unusual...many of the websites that sell used Mac's are similar. Just wanted you to be aware.:)

- Nick

p.s. This is why (as Ashwin advised)...if you're considering buying a used Apple computer from a website like Macsales.com...you may be much better off spending a bit more $$$ and getting a newer computer...which also comes with a 12 month Apple warranty.:)

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you so much

Be aware that many times internet sites (even one of our favorites Macsales.com)...sell used Mac's at a large premium over what the exact used computer can be purchased for via ebay or Craig's List.

As an example. Macsales.com is selling a late 2012 iMac (21.5", 2.7ghz, 8gig Ram, 1TB HD) for $719:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/BJ1F5COB21XXC/

On eBay it can be had for around $450:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iMac...870716?hash=item2a978791bc:g:oI4AAOSwI59aHHrw

This is not unusual...many of the websites that sell used Mac's are similar. Just wanted you to be aware.:)

- Nick

p.s. This is why (as Ashwin advised)...if you're considering buying a used Apple computer from a website like Macsales.com...you may be much better off spending a bit more $$$ and getting a newer computer...which also comes with a 12 month Apple warranty.:)

Nick, thank you so much for your input. I will buy a new IMac and I love the 12 month warranty. Do you suggest buying from Apple or maybe Best Buy? I am 81 years old but I’m very active and spry for my age. My health is great. Have been a graphic designer since my early 30’s. I still work from home and need an upgraded IMac. I enjoy what I do and it keeps my mind sharp. Thank you again for turning me in the right direction. I really needed help from someone who understands what I should do.

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick, thank you so much for your input. I will buy a new IMac and I love the 12 month warranty. Do you suggest buying from Apple or maybe Best Buy? I am 81 years old but I’m very active and spry for my age. My health is great. Have been a graphic designer since my early 30’s. I still work from home and need an upgraded IMac. I enjoy what I do and it keeps my mind sharp. Thank you again for turning me in the right direction. I really needed help from someone who understands what I should do.

Charlotte

Hey Charlotte...thanks so much for mentioning that background info...very very interesting!:) Pretty awesome that you've been a graphic designer well before the age of personal computers...and (from how it sounds) have had no trouble transitioning that skill with PC's..

As far as your computer purchase. You don't need to purchase a brand new computer...take a look at the Apple refurbished area. Usually you can save at least 15% vs. new...they are just as good as a new computer...and they come with the exact same 12 month warranty as a new computer (which can be extended to 3 years if you choose to purchase the extended plan).

Good luck. If you have any additional questions...feel free to ask away. We are all here to help.:)

- Nick

p.s. As far as Apple & Best Buy. Both are great to purchase from. Occasionallly Best Buy can be less expensive (by a little bit)...if you catch a sale at the right time. Maybe $50-$100. But generally they are about the same price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is it too late to upgrade my I Mac 2007 OS X 10.5.8.

I just thought I'd mention that our 2007 24" iMac with 6GB ram and El Cap'n is working well for what it's used for and if you have concerns about your applications and later OS X compatibility, you check it out here:
https://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The main downside to upgrading that old of a Mac to El Capitan is that sooner or later the newest version of Safari that it will run will give you fits. Of course, there are other browsers, some with a longer useful life than Safari.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The main downside to upgrading that old of a Mac to El Capitan is that sooner or later the newest version of Safari that it will run will give you fits.

Anything specific to watch out for toMACsh as everything seems to be working well here on the old '07 iMac???

Just curious… and wanting to be ready…

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the past, as my browser aged, web sites added more content, and my bandwidth did not change, thing slowed significantly, to the point that some web sites would not load at all. It's a slow progression, but it will happen eventually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the past, as my browser aged, web sites added more content, and my bandwidth did not change, thing slowed significantly,

Hmmm…??? It's pretty hard to justify blaming ones older Mac, OS and/or browser and to view web sites with added more content and not upgrade ones Internet bandwidth speed I'd say. :[

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm…??? It's pretty hard to justify blaming ones older Mac, OS and/or browser and to view web sites with added more content and not upgrade ones Internet bandwidth speed I'd say. :[

- Patrick
======
????
very puzzling comment

I think it's called progress. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
????
very puzzling comment

I think it's called progress. :)

Not really, just change/upgrade ones potential download speed or change the viewing mode to text only if the sites browsed have gained a lot of extra content.

Yes, I guess they call it "progress" or as some prefer, "new and improved"!!!

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.