Phone choice dilemma

Reaction score
Well I have used Apple stuff for years. I currently have an iMac, MBP x 2, and iPad Air, and a mini for music.

My current phone is an iPhone6 and I'm looking to replace it this month. I'm really not taken with the new iPhones though and am considering a jump to Android. But given all my investment in Apple I'm a bit nervous. Mainly I'm not sure if it's compatible with my Apple ecosystem. I know there's Android File Transfer but I did give it a go with my daughter's phone and it just didn't work! I also know about Airdroid but going through wifi seems so slow!

Is there anyone who has actually used Android with Mac for transferring files by wire successfully and happily?

I'm even wondering if the only solution is to boot camp some windows on one of my Macs but it seems a faff!

What do you wise people say?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have had several forum members with Android phones who have had no problem whatsoever with their WiFi or transferring files using the latest Android File Transfer app. If you're concerned about using an Android phone, then stick with an iPhone. You don't have to buy the latest and greatest. The iPhone SE is very popular and is moderately priced. There are also iPhone 6s and 6s+ models that are on sale in the Apple on line refurbished store. (US store only)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
What do you wise people say?

I am not sure I qualify as "wise." I did have a Samsung Note II when I got my first Mac. I never did get then working well together using any Android file app. What I did was use Google Drive. I use it still today to transfer files between my various Macs, windows desktop, iPad, and my iPhone. I also have all my contacts and calendar on Google so when I jumped on the apple wagon I just accessed my google account and everything transferred. I still use my Google mail account as the master account.

BTW: While I admit it is expensive - the iPhone X is awesome.... just sayin' ;)

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm really not taken with the new iPhones

There's not such a huge difference between the 6 and the iPhone 7 in terms of "how to use and handle it", but a significant difference in functions, speed and so on. There are excellent videos online explaining 3D Touch and so forth. Nice piece of kit.

Still available for sale from Apple Don't know where you're from, but this is a link to the UK site: https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-7

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I pondered switching earlier this year but relented and bought a red 7 (128gb) because I didn't want to lose the effortless syncing with other devices. HarryB2448 worked with an Android phone for a while.

OP
W
Reaction score
Hmm. I'm going to stick with the iPhone. I can't imagine it would be pleasant using Android and Mac together as a wireless/cloud solution doesn't interest me and I hear a lot of frustration online about using AFT or similar.

Thank you all for your advice which is much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.