iPhone X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I have been waiting to see if anyone else posted about the X. So either I am the only one on this forum to get one or no one is talking. ;D

I ordered mine and got it on Nov. 3rd. I got the Space Grey with 256Gb of storage. I was beyond eligible for an upgrade so I decided to give it a try.

Going from a 7+ to the X has been a change. The physical size is identical to the iPhone 7. But the whole front is screen. Some apps will use the whole screen and others have a black band at the top and bottom so in effect the screen becomes the same size as the 7. The screen is very nice. The colors are crisp and sharp and in my opinion better than the retina displays.

Now for how it performs. It is blazing fast. I was worried about a lack of a home button but was pleasantly surprised to find I don't miss it at all. I love the swipe up feature to open the phone or close an app. I find it actually easier than using the home button and half the time find Siri popping up.

The Face ID has been very fast. The only time it did not identify me was when I had on my super dark and very large sunglasses. Otherwise I can even look at it from the side - like when it is in my hands free holder - and it opens right up.

I have been reading on Macrumors about some of the issues people are having and I am happy to say I have not experienced any problems.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Color me jealous. One of my co-workers ordered his the first day but I think he is afraid to touch i8t for fear I try to keep it.

I upgraded to an 8+ recently because I cracked the screen on my 6+. Tried to convince SWMBO that I "needed' the 10 but that idea did not fly at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well I have been waiting to see if anyone else posted about the X. So either I am the only one on this forum to get one or no one is talking.

There are at least two more iPhone X threads floating around. But yours is the first giving a review, so we'll forgive you this time. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have been reading on Macrumors about some of the issues people are having and I am happy to say I have not experienced any problems.

Good to hear Lisa and I hope it stays that way.

But owners should be aware of some of its other "features" that seem to be getting a fair bit of attention and I quote:
Apple’s most beautiful (and expensive) iPhone yet is also its most fragile.

Several reputable tech publications tested the iPhone X’s durability by subjecting it to a series of brutal scratch and drop tests. The verdict across the board is that the front and rear glass panels on the $1,000 flagship phone are extremely easy to shatter, despite Apple’s claim that it’s “the most durable glass ever in a smartphone.”

The first test comes from CNET, which dropped the iPhone X onto a sidewalk from just three feet, or about pocket height. The phone suffered damage to three of its four corners on the very first drop. The cracks on the screen spread deeper and wider on the second drop from the same distance. Because of those poor results, CNET gave the device the dubious honor of “most breakable iPhone ever.”

A few days later, electronics warranty provider SquareTrade uploaded a short drop test to YouTube. The iPhone X’s OLED display shattered and malfunctioned after being dropped onto its stainless steel side from six feet high.
https://www.dailydot.com/debug/iphone-x-drop-test/?fb=ss&prtnr=22words

I guess Apple's happy and making even more money from all the repairs from all the multiple and various sites doing all their own drop tests. :\

Best to get it into a good protection case for those who have received theirs and haven't done so already I'd strongly suggest.

PS:
I was beyond eligible for an upgrade so I decided to give it a try.

Going from a 7+ to the X has been a change.

WOW!!! …"beyond eligible for an upgrade" with a 7+….???

What can I say… ??? :$ :Mischievous:

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wouldn't pay too much attention to those drop tests. They do that everytime Apple puts forth another new iPhone. However, they forgot to mention that sales of the iPhone X were beyond expectation and Apple will emerge number one in cell phones sales this quarter. By the way, that beats Samsung who has been the leader for the last 3 quarters.

Got a good laugh from the SquareTrade test: Drop from 6 feet. I guess if you happen to be a professional NBA player that might be possible! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
There are at least two more iPhone X threads floating around. But yours is the first giving a review, so we'll forgive you this time. :)
Those threads seem to be combined and closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got a good laugh from the SquareTrade test: Drop from 6 feet. I guess if you happen to be a professional NBA player that might be possible!

I pretty much just did a very quick scan of the articles and missed that part.

Not exactly a normal height one would would carry their cellphone, but I guess it is pretty close to being close to an average user's ear height it would be at when in use.

PS: Have you noticed the number of people that carry their cellphone in their hand???

Haven'y they considered using a pocket or holster or some carrying device and what's it like to be restricted to one hand for everything else???

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Give me any Samsung Note or normal phone and I bet you $$$ I can destroy it in less than 1 minute! :D Grin

The Note 8 is almost the same cost as the iPhone X. It takes 3+ minutes to encode the same video as the iPhone X does in 40 seconds.

:D Grin

Toms Hardware:

Our video editing test, in which we have phones transcode a 2-minute 4K video, is a perfect illustration of the A11 Bionic's power. The iPhone X completes the task in 42 seconds. The Note 8, which features a Snapdragon 835 mobile processor, needs 3 minutes to get the job done.

There's a similar performance gap in synthetic benchmarks too. Running Geekbench 4, which measures overall performance, the iPhone X turned in a score of 10,357. The Note 8 performs the best of any Android phone we've tested with Geekbench 4, but its 6,564 score is still well behind what the iPhone X can do. The same goes with the 3DMark IceStorm Unlimited test of graphics prowess, where the iPhone X improved on the Note 8's score by 59 percent.
Winner: iPhone X. And it's not at all close.

Last edited:
OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I bought a case and had it before the phone arrived. I believe in cases. I also believe in AppleCare + but get ready for the price - $199. So I am thinking Apple is anticipating the break ability and cost of components in this new X.

I use a folio type case so it covers the screen when I am not using it. I also am not prone to dropping my phone (She says as she knocks on wood!!!)

With my carrier and the plan I have I can upgrade every year. I was past my year by a few months. Doesn't do much in the price department though. :Smirk:

Dennis: In my wildest dreams I could never see myself editing video on my phone. But as far as speed in other areas I can say this thing is fast.

I can also now attest to how it performs in the cold. I had to do an outside photo shoot. Both my hands and the phone got very cold (32 degrees plus wind chill) and it worked perfect.

Lisa

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I used the video test as an example of how fast that A11 CPU is. Geekbench which tests the phones overall speed agrees also.

Great on the Folio case. That should keep it safe.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also believe in AppleCare + but get ready for the price - $199.

Apple claims the high cost of AppleCare + for the X is because of the cost of replacing components. Also, Macworld did a comparison on have AC+ and not having it on some common repairs. I don't off hand have access to the article, but it may not be worth it unless you're a goofus who drops their phone often. LOL.

Don't forget.... that AC+ has a deductible and only covers two incidents.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been quite lucky even with my Inner Ear disease at not dropping my phones and other portable devices. I had a 3g for ages. What finally happened is a friend every week took me shopping. Well this day his wife was yelling at him so he was in a hurry so i put the phone in my Jacket pocket which has a zipper I usually closed, but he was pushing me so hard I forgot to zip it. I got out of his car fast and the jacket bunched up and pushed out the phone in the street right on the asphalt! That though did not kill it. I did not even realize it dropped and was taking bags of groceries to my house. I then noticed the iPhone was not there so ran back out there. My Landlord was visiting someone in one of the other houses on the property and as I was running to get my phone pulled up and drove his SUV right over it. That crunched it! Poor 3g! :D

Next day my friend felt bad and took me to a used iphone store and I got a 3GS for cheap as I was pretty broke by the end of the month. Otherwise I have not that I can remember dropped my phone nor iPods which is amazing with my dizziness issues!

Anyone spending $$$ on any iPhone or even modern Samsung should get a case!

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put an Otterbox case with a screen protector on my husbands iPhone 7. Given the way he treats it, I can say the case has saved the phone many times. I am not that hard on a phone but I have always found the slipperiness of the caseless iPhone is just asking for trouble.

I am aware that applecare covers only two accidents. I am more concerned with it acting up and something not working. With my luck I would have it happen and "Oh sorry, no coverage and no recall" would happen to me. With AppleCare + that stuff is covered and in two years, if I keep it, all the bugs should be worked out. Okay, truthfully, in two years or less Apple will come up with a newer, better, shinier iPhone and Lisa will decide she needs it. At least I am not in denial and admit my tech addiction. ;D

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At least I am not in denial and admit my tech addiction.

LOL. Not to worry Lisa. I have a good friend who is addicted to the latest cars. He just went into hock for a 2017 Corvette. Think about buying a car that costs 65K! And no, he is not a wealthy person.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa, thanks for mentioning the slipperiness on the newer iPhones. I never had that issue with my 3g or 3gs but on the 5s I got used (Yes I am poor :D), it feels very slippery! I need to get a case for it ASAP.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I can finally afford my tech addiction. For years, my husband and I had kids to raise and put through college plus my grad school. So we watched every penny. Now we are both retired and have everything paid for except for those pesky monthly bills and taxes. I think I have to die to quit paying those. :p

I would never sink $65K into a Corvette. Not only would I not like the payments but I also would not like the speeding tickets, jail time, lawyer fees..... I have a lead foot.... :Smirk:

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would never sink $65K into a Corvette. Not only would I not like the payments but I also would not like the speeding tickets, jail time, lawyer fees..... I have a lead foot.... :Smirk:

Lisa
If I were willing to pay for a speeding ticket that might ensue could I bum a ride? Can't help much with the 65K price tag I'm afraid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL. Not to worry Lisa. I have a good friend who is addicted to the latest cars. He just went into hock for a 2017 Corvette. Think about buying a car that costs 65K! And no, he is not a wealthy person.

WOW!!! $65kusd for a 2017 Corvette, defending on model, is a fantastic bargain, if not a steal of a deal!!! Loose left-over pocket change will buy him an iPhone X easy.

One can easily spend double that for some European fancy priced screaming revving four or maybe six banger. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saw an advertisement today from T-Mobile where they will give you $300 off the price of a iPhone X ordered from them. The catch? Remember that old Tennessee Ernie Ford song from way back when "16 Ton"? Some of lyrics go like this:

"You load sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store…"

LOL. Maybe Lisa can remember that song also? ;D

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Count me in for remembering that song. Heard it numerous times as a kid on frequent visits to my grandparents. As a consequence of those visits I also have fond memories of the following:

78 rpm LPs (think that's where I first heard Charles Brown Please Come Home for Christmas
Any music from Fats Domino or Chuck Berry (sadly both have recently passed away)
Motown Music
Michael Jackson (original voice and nose) with the Jackson 5

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.