HELP! OLD macbook to new IMAC painless music and photo transfer

Reaction score
Please bear with me this is my first post!

I have been trying to find the easiest way to transfer my Photos and Music from my Macbook (thats from 2007) to my new IMac that is less than a year old. I know there are ways through icloud and stuff like that but I have about 200GB of music that i want to transfer as easy as possible.

I know i can get just a 1TB thumb drive but am trying not to have to pay to transfer.

Any help and tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

You can probably do it using an ethernet connection but it may be slow. New iMacs do not allow target disk mode so you can't use that method. Maybe someone has an idea of how to do it without spending money on an external hard drive or fast USB flash drive. The problem you're going to have is that your 2007 Mac only supports USB 2 while the late model iMac has USB 3 ports. Even though they're backward compatible, it will be slow.

You might be able to do it using the Migration Assistant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
You might be able to do it using the Migration Assistant.

I would think this would be the best method.

And then back everything up to an external hard drive. I know you don't want to pay out, but its cost is far less than potential expensive data recovery should everything go North :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As a free solution,

Share the folders on the network. Either drag and drop the files and folders from on to another or use Rsync.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.