Mac Model A1224 - retrieving files from backup drive

Reaction score
I have an older mac with core2 duo processor. The computer died. My files are backed up on a separate 1 TB drive using time capsule. How can I retrieve the older files? I tried with a newer i5 processor mac but it looks like i have to reformat the i5 drive to the older operating system. Feels like there may be an easier way?

wmark64

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Using Time Capsule, or Time Machine? Time Capsule is a Wireless Router & Storage Drive combo, while Time Machine is Backup Software included with Mac OS X/OS X/macOS versions going all the way back to Leopard (10.5). What version of Mac OS X/OS X/macOS were you backing up (10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13)? What version are you using n your new Mac? How are you connecting to the drive? Does the drive show up on the new Mac?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As Bob has pointed out Time machine (the backup software) has been around a long time. We need to know what OS was on the drive when things died. Also a few other questions:

1. What OS version is on the newer Mac?
2. Please describe the steps you are taking to recover things in Time Machine?
3. What exactly happens during recovery? Are you unable to see the files or they don't load properly etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My files are backed up on a separate 1 TB drive using time capsule.

Was the 1 TB drive used in the time capsule or attached?

Which time capsule model was used?

How are you now trying to connect to the drive or time capsule and access your data??

And the questions as Slydude et al have questioned.

And assuming you were using Time Machine to do the backups, you'll need to use it to recover your data. Using the Finder is NOT the way to do so!!!

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.