Windows 7 on external drive, can I dual boot?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
I have a HDD (ntfs) out of my old laptop which was running Windows 7, how do I go about booting from this on a Macbook air?

The HDD is currently plugged into the macbook as an external drive, however it is in a read only state. Am I able to use parallels or similar? or at least be able to read AND write to it?

Thanks

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
I have a HDD (ntfs) out of my old laptop which was running Windows 7, how do I go about booting from this on a Macbook air?

The HDD is currently plugged into the macbook as an external drive, however it is in a read only state. Am I able to use parallels or similar? or at least be able to read AND write to it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It is against Microsofts EULA to use Windows to boot from on any external drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Another issue is that Windows would not boot as the drivers would be the ones that it used to boot your old laptop. Windows is not friendly when it comes to moving a hard drive from one machine to another. It is not like OS X.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Someone more fluent with Windows on Mac than I am may chime in with better answers but fwiw here is my take on the matter:
1. I don't think you are going to get Windows 7 to boot from an external drive. If it works at all it will be something of a pain to set up. Microsoft anti-piracy measures are designed to prevent someone from running it on an external drive.
2. I think that you could run the installation from within a virtual machine if Windows is installed on an external drive but I am not sure.
3. Your Mac can read ntfs drive with no issues but writing to the ntfs drive requires third-party software. My software of choice for this is from Paragon Software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
ChrisA31:

Please do not double post as that causes confusion. We combined your posts together here.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for moving that Charlie. By the time I discovered the second thread I think you were already cleaning things up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.