Where did they go?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mojave 10.14.3, Late 2015, 21.5" display, 2.8ghz, 16GB
Sorry but the old guy is confused...again.
I hooked up my iPhone to my mac, selected a few pictures from my phone of a home reno project I am working on and put them into an album in the Photo app that came with my Mac and gave it a name. Then when I go to find them in Finder to use them for something, I can't find them anywhere.
What am I doing wrong?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Use the Photos app and the name you gave the album/folder to find the photos. Photos keeps the pictures in a funky ordered fashion in hidden folders.

If you just want to grab a photo for other manipulation and transmission, then you can use Image Capture to copy images/videos to any folder and then find them in Finder easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Sorry but the old guy is confused...again.
I hooked up my iPhone to my mac, selected a few pictures from my phone of a home reno project I am working on and put them into an album in the Photo app that came with my Mac and gave it a name. Then when I go to find them in Finder to use them for something, I can't find them anywhere.
What am I doing wrong?

To discover in finder you need to select 'All My Files' in the side bar menu then type album name in Finder search bar.

Alternatives:
Open Photos (from the icon on the dock, or Finder > Apps Photos) and you will find the album in the sidebar. You can also find it by typing the album name in the Spotlight spyglass in your task bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
… … …
If you just want to grab a photo for other manipulation and transmission, then you can use Image Capture to copy images/videos to any folder and then find them in Finder easily.

+1 !!!

But one may also what to change the preferences for when a camera/device is connected so that iPhoto/Photos isn't interfering and doing its things as it often does.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
Reinyrooster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great info, as usual. Thanks everyone.

OP
Reinyrooster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK....dummy is back with the following follow-up problems. #1 - did a search i finder under "all my files" and it didn't find the album. When I open Photos, it opens directly to the album that I recently saved but there is no sidebar. #3 - I have no idea what Spotlight spyglass is....can't find any app that has that name, and it's not in my task bar.

Where can I change the preferences for what happens when I connect the camera...can't find that in preferences.

Sorry to be a headache.....in the middle of some home rents and trying to store the pictures of the project as I go.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Spotlight spyglass is in the menu bar on top right..

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 11.30.22 AM.png

You can also get to it by hitting CMD+space.

You change what happens when you plug your camera in in the Image Capture app (not very intuitive, I know). When the device is connected, open up Image Capture and look at the bottom left and you can decide which app should open when the camera is connected or not app at all if that's your preference.

I don't use Photos, so can't address those questions, but I'm sure other members will chime in shortly.

OP
Reinyrooster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK...just tried Spotlight and it didn't find the album of pictures.

Just tied Image Capture and that woks well to select where to import the pictures to. Like that one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where can I change the preferences for what happens when I connect the camera...can't find that in preferences.

In iPhoto/Photos > Preferences > General should be an option box to change or set to "no Application" or your choice.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK...just tried Spotlight and it didn't find the album of pictures.

I guess it's time for me to bring up and mention using Find Any File.app once again.

It will find it and even has an option to find named folders, not just files.
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

PS: WARNING if one is to go mucking about in the iPhoto/Photos library/folder structure!! You can mess up all photos if not careful!!

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
When I open Photos, it opens directly to the album that I recently saved but there is no sidebar

Open Photos. From Top Menu Bar, Click on View.

From drop down options, choose "Show Sidebar".

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
To discover in finder you need to select 'All My Files' in the side bar menu then type album name in Finder search bar.
That won't find Albums/individual photos that are in Photos, in the same way that it won't find songs in iTunes. Those items are inside "Packages" and in both cases it's best not to mess about inside them as it can corrupt the parent Applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Why do you need to use the Finder to find your photos? If you need to send them as attachments or upload them, you can use the file browser to browse the Media section near the bottom of the sidebar to find a photo. You can even email, text message or upload a photo directly from the Photos app just by right clicking on it.

If you really need the photo somewhere else, you can just drag a copy from the Photos app to anywhere else on your computer.

Photos is meant to be a giant, images-only Finder window, in a way. Instead of opening up a Pictures folder, you open up Photos. There they can organized, moved, copied, pasted and everything else you can do to them in the Finder, plus a lot more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
All good info and posts.

It comes down to whether you want to manage your pictures in Photos or manually in Finder/another applications.

Either way has Pros and Cons. I used to despise iPhoto but I find integration between iOS and Photos on Mac invaluable.

If you carry on down the Photos route you can just go to the album, select the photos you're interested in, right-click Export and choose a Finder Folder to copy them to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.