.JPG images not showing Preview image on the desktop (Mac OS 10.10.5)

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just recently when I download images from Google (using FireFox) to my desktop, the .JPG extension seems to be left off the image name and the icon shows a blank image. I feel like I must have hit something (key command) that took off that feature. Is there a way to fix it?

I know I can manually add the extension .JPG to the image, but I've never had to do it before.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Icons.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just so we know where the issue lies can you try the same in Safari and Chrome (if you have it). That way we can say OS issue or browser issue.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In addition to trying multiple browsers, does the original file (wherever you are getting it from) contain the right extension? The file names of the files seems a bit odd, so it might also be a matter of where and how you are downloading the files from.

OP
A
Reaction score
OK, so I just used SAFARI to download an image from Google. The .JPG extension is there and the IMAGE shows in the preview.

So it seems it's something with FIREFOX.

Now, what might that be, I have no idea. I don't know if I turned something off.

OP
A
Reaction score
95% of the time I'm downloading images/logos/clipart from Google using FIREFOX. I'm using the updated version of Firefox Quantum 57.0. I don't know if I hit an "F key" and may have turned off a feature in FIREFOX that causes the .JPG extension to drop off.

Reaction score
Did you fix this?

I am having the same problem, Firefox Quantum also. Seems like dragging an image to the desktop is dropping the file extention. If I right-click save to desktop the image is these.
Anyways, I hope that this issue was resolved and that someone can help me out with this. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.