iPad will not log on to our home wi-fi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Yesterday my wife's iPad mini was working fine. Overnight it picked up e-mails. This morning it tells us we have the wrong password for logging on to our home wi-fi hub. When we enter the correct password it still tells us it is incorrect, however my iPad and my Mac are still logged on with out a problem (so far). We have powered it down and re-booted with the same negative results.
Any ideas what has happened and how to correct it?
If there is any further information anyone needs please let me know.
Thanks
MacGrumpy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It would be nice to know if it can access other wireless networks. This would eliminate whether the wifi card had died in the iPad.

One thing you can try is to make your iPad "forget" your network and then add it back in. What this will do is force all setting for that network in the iPad to be reset. To do this:
1. Go to settings
2. Tap on WiFi
3. Look for the name of your network to show up and tap on it. This should open another screen.
4. Look on that screen and you will see Forget this Network. Tap on this and I am not sure if it prompts you if you are sure but if it does select yes.
5. Now shut the ipad off and turn it back on. (Off - not sleep it.)
6. Restart the iPad.
7. Go back to settings -> WiFi and choose your network and try putting in your password again.

If that does not help post back. Also the model of iPad and version of iOS it is running would be nice to know.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Thank you Lisa,
Followed your tip and shut everything down last night, including router. Powered up this morning and logged on without a problem. We still do not know what caused the problem but if it happens again at least we have something to fall back on.
Thanks again,
MacGrumpy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Sometimes devices just get messed up and a good restart and refresh of all involved potential culprits solves the problem. Glad you got it fixed. ;)

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sometimes a power glitch in the middle of the night can cause the router to lose its stored information. I have my router on a fairly good surge protector and my Mac on an UPS because I have seen power glitches that occurred during the night cause problems. The next UPS I buy will have enough power so that I can put all my computing equipment on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Sometimes a power glitch in the middle of the night can cause the router to lose its stored information. I have my router on a fairly good surge protector and my Mac on an UPS because I have seen power glitches that occurred during the night cause problems. The next UPS I buy will have enough power so that I can put all my computing equipment on it.

Hi MacGrumpy - glad that Lisa was able to get you up and working again! :)

Agree w/ Chscag above - consider buying a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) - I have the one below in our computer room w/ my iMac attached along w/ our modem and router (Apple Extreme) - when our power goes out, I simply shut down the computer safely - leave the modem and router on which require little power - if my cable is still up (nearly always), then we can be on the internet for hours w/ our iDevices and my Mac laptops, until the power returns. Also have less expensive ones attached to my den & bedroom electronics - highly recommended. Dave
BR1000G copy.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.