Remove/Bypass file delete command prompt

Reaction score
A few months ago I got a new job. Yay! Problem is I have to use a Mac and these boxes aren't always so easy to figure out. Bklegghhh!!

All I want to do is rapidly delete a file from my finder. I'm browsing through pictures and deleting using the mouse and then clicking confirm as I srot through these is taking forever. Mice are slow, I want keyboard shortcuts!!!

Soooo.....to that end, some folks on other forums said "just hold CMD + Delete, and it will go away without any pop-up prompt". But guess what gang? That doesn't work!

I want to know if I make this confirmation pop-up stop appearing. Short of that, mail me a long heavy chain... so I can wrap it around this over-engineered hunk of plastic and turn it into a much more valuable boat anchor.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you want to delete files that are in series, hold down the SHIFT key, click the first file and then click the last file to select them all, you can then right-click and choose Move to Trash. You should only get prompted when you empty the trash. If you have files that aren't in series, you can hold down the CMD key to select random files for deletion.

You can also hit CMD+delete to send the files to the trash.

I'm running macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and all of this works fine for me.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Fixthismac

Welcome to our Forums.

Just in case, and no offence intended, "Command + Delete" is actually Command + Backspace.

I understand your frustration being in a new job, learning the ropes and all that, including getting to grips with an entirely new computer system; but please be patient and don't blame every mishap on the Mac. Least of all it's not an "over-engineered hunk of plastic" - actually it's mostly metal:)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just in case, and no offence intended, "Command + Delete" is actually Command + Backspace.

Just to confuse things for the poor new user guy, that depends on the keyboard being used!!! O:)

My wired Apple extended keyboard uses the "delete" key descriptor.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Yes, Patrick. Of course. I was assuming an Apple Keyboard. My error.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.