MalwareBytes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Good morning all, I have just tried to run MalwareBytes and got a drop down menu saying " MalwareBytes is trying to install a helper tool". I used the cancel bar and the menu disappeared, then I find MalwareBytes is locked solid. I tried to force quit and all other methods but no luck. So I closed my Mini down and restarted, low and behold MalwareBytes is still there demanding attention, I could not do anything on the Mini at all and I must admit, with trepidation, that I succumbed and authorised the Mini to download the Helper. After looking round my Mini I cannot find anything untoward or out of the usual appearance; so have I done right but I have a deep down gut feeling I might have done wrong?
Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.

M

MacInWin

Where did you get the Malwarebytes installer from? If from the developer site at malwarebytes.com, that's ok, the helper is a small app that runs in the background. However, there is no need for malwarebytes to be resident (that is, running all the time). The default installation is for that to be how it is set up, but if you just ignore the request for payments for the 30 day trial period, that will change to a run-when-you-want-to model, which is how a lot of us use it. We only run it once in a while or if we see something amiss.

If you got the installer from somewhere other than the developer site, I would recommend uninstalling it and going to the developer site to get the real thing.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Keith

Provided you downloaded Malwarebytes from this site, you should be okay: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

As Jake said, if from elsewhere, uninstall it and get the real thing.

I also agree, the Helper Tool is safe and should be downloaded.

Once you have there "real thing", an icon sits in your top menu bar and from it, you can select a number of options (see below). I have real time scanning turned off.

S1.jpg

Ian

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, as far as I remember MalwareBytes was downloaded from the developer site. I cannot think where you got the idea that it runs all the time! I run it perhaps once a month or two months as the state of mind takes me. I will however uninstall it and download from the developer just to be sure, I cannot recall how long ago I got the software so not sure of it's source. I thank you for your reply and at the same time hope you and your family are all well. Keith.

PS> Ian in Wales, thank you also for your reply. My edition of MalwareBytes shows nothing like your screen shot, I have a blue M in the toolbar (slightly circular but a definite M). Tnx Keith.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No problems. I imagine Ian's has the paid for version. The free version has a different window, mainly blue and grteen adbvising you are running the free version, like I do.

M

MacInWin

Malwarebytes is first installed as a resident, run all the time, program. That's the "free" month they give you. If you pay, the resident version stays (you can disable it, but that's what you paid for). If you don't pay, at the end of the first month, it reverts to on-demand only. Malwarebytes is trying to convince us to pay for that all the time protection but frankly I don't think it is needed. I'm using the free version myself, run only periodically.

BTW, I don't think you can install Malwarebytes without the resident option at first. At least I couldn't see how to do that. I just ignored the pay-me messages until they went away. The "helper" program is the little tag application that supports the icon in the top bar, which I think is to trigger the resident part of the program. I just looked and I don't have any malwarebytes helper running, so that makes sense.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, Thank you very much your last paragraph answered my question completely. I have not got a clue why my copy should suddenly add the "Helper" after all this time. I run the free version and always have done on my Mac but on my old PC I had a lifetime contract with Malwarebytes; it cost me around £28.00 at the time and I still have the old activation code. It is not much use now though so I leave well alone on top of that the PC edition is totally different to the Mac one. as a result of your reply I shall not uninstall/install MalwareBytes but leave it be. Thank you very much indeed. Keith.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, North or South Wales? I lived in Porthcawl for three and a half years in the mid sixties, Macworth Road to be precise. Lots of happy days down there. Keith.

I was down there during the Aberfan disaster, Most awful and very very sad. I will never ever forget, God rest them all!

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
No problems. I imagine Ian's has the paid for version. The free version has a different window, mainly blue and grteen adbvising you are running the free version, like I do.

Not paid a penny. I'm on the 30-day free trial. At the end of the trial, it automatically reverts to the free version which excludes the option to run in the background - which I most certainly don't want!

No doubt the icon will change colour. (BTW, just in case..... I retained the older version)

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, North or South Wales? I lived in Porthcawl for three and a half years in the mid sixties, Macworth Road to be precise. Lots of happy days down there. Keith.

I was down there during the Aberfan disaster, Most awful and very very sad. I will never ever forget, God rest them all!

North Wales coast, overlooking Conwy Castle.

Ian

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Ian, I was 22 years in the RAF and as a driver visited RAF Valley many times.

Keith.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.