WD External disk won't mount. PLEASE HELP.

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have a problem with my "WD My Book 1TB external disk".
The problem is, it won't freakin' mount ! D:

Before i continue please know that I'm not that good with computers and i thank you for you're patience with me :d

I have an iMac 10.4.11 and a MacBook 10.6.8.
On both computers its the same thing, it doesn't show up on the desktop or in the finder window but, when i got to Disk Utility it shows up there.
Its on the left side of the window with the yellow external harddrive icon "WD My Book 1110 Media"
Under that there is the same yellow icon with "BigCookiee" (Name of my disk, please don't laugh xD).

When i try to click the "Mount button" it does nothing on the iMac, on the Macbook it says that it can't mount it and i need to try the First Aid.
On both computers I verified and tried to repair the disk, but that doesn't help.

(The "WD My Book 1110 Media" is mounted but my "Big Cookiee" is not)

I tried to mount the disk thru terminal but I think it didn't work because i don't know the right command or i just typed it wrong
(what i tried was" disk mount /Volume/BigCookiee)

I also read in an other forum a solution that helped a couple of people, but not me this time.
In Activity Monitor there is this thing that shows up "fsck_hfs" every time i connect the usb cable to the computer.
They said that the solution was to force quit this "fsck_hfs" and it worked, for them.
I know Im not good with computers but what is this "fsck_hfs" thing, sometimes it shows up for quit a long time
and other times it shows up for like 2 seconds and its gone.
When it does stay longer then 2 seconds and i force quit it, it disappears but it doesn't help me.

Ofcourse i tried different USB cables but that didn't help, when i plug the USB in the computer the external disk lights up and starts spinning like normal.

I gotta say i had this same problem before (with the same disk) but it was so long ago I don't remember how i fixed it or the solution that worked back then doesn't work now. (is that possible ? xD )

I have a feeling that before i did... something in the terminal that worked i just can't remember what.

The files on the disk are very important to me, if any one could help i would be so grateful !

Last edited:
OP
C
Reaction score
I just tried this:
In terminal i typed in
diskutil repairVolume /Big Cookiee
..and it said:
Disk Utility Tool
Usage: diskutil [verifyVolume|repairVolume] [Mount Point|Disk Identifier
|Device Node]
Verify or repair the disk structure of a volume. Ownership of the affected disk is required.
Example: diskutil verifyVolume /Volumes/SomeDisk

When i try " verifyVolume...." it also says " ownership required.

Why is that?

i also tried:
diskutil mountDisk /Volume/Big Cookiee

and it comes up with this:
Disk Utility Tool
Usage: diskutil [mount(Disk)|unmount(Disk)|eject] <force>
[Mount Point|Disk Identifier|Device Node]
Mount, unmount or eject local disks or volumes.
force is only valid on unmount or unmountDisk.
Example: diskutil unmount /Volumes/SomeDisk

..... please help..? Anyone ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ever read the book - Don Quixote by Cervantes? The book was very amusing in that the character in the book battled with a Windmill. And that's exactly what you're doing... battling a Windmill. Replace the WD and be done with it. If it's still under warranty (WD warranty is usually 3 years), contact Western Digital and obtain a RMA. They will replace the drive.

Of course replacing the drive means data loss especially if you had anything important stored on it. I've been there and done that with WD drives that will not mount. Believe me, even if it should somehow mount, it will definitely fail again. Which means you can no longer trust the drive. Bottom line... replace it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is wise Cookie to always run two backups particularly with such old operating systems, and presumably older model computers.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm afraid what has been said is true. Even if you could get it working it would never be trustworthy again. I have had success in your situation reformatting the disk to MS Dos then reformatting again to macOS but I would never use it again for irreplaceable data. Of course this process erased the disk. Better to get a new one under warranty and if the data is valuable you must have a backup.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I know i need a new disk but is there a way to at least transfer some data from the broken' disk to a new one ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is software you can try such as Data Rescue 4 or Disk Drill. However, if the drive can not be mounted it means it can not be accessed and software won't work. Besides, most recovery software is expensive although several have trial versions. Professional recovery is expensive so you need to decide how valuable the data is before proceeding.

OP
C
Reaction score
The steps i took are all the ones i can try ?
There is no other way ?
In Disk Utility the " WD My Book 1110 Media " is mounted
just my " Big Cookiee " is not.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can mount the drive and it will respond, you can try the recovery software I mentioned above.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.