Turning my new MBP into a FORTRESS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EggCarrier

I just got a new MacBook Pro 13" 2017 and need to secure it completely.

I'm familiar with Mac, but noob with the more complex internal and security aspects.

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please PM me if you are an IT pro familiar with DrDuh's Mac Security guide and able to provide guidance. I would truly appreciate it.

This really isn't the way internet forums work. Much more beneficial if everyone could learn from things (not just one person).:)

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. Since I'm not an "IT Pro"...I guess I'm not qualified to reply. Lol

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
This is a forum where users try to help other users. Some of us have more knowledge in some areas than others but I doubt any one of us would claim to be experts.

So I can tell you what I have done but I cannot comment on Dr Duh's advice.
I do not use Safari as my primary browser but I use it to back up all my bookmarks and passwords.

I use Adblock and Ghostery on my primary browser (Vivaldi) and an extension to my password manager Enpass which only stores my passwords locally. In this way I can completely delete my Vivaldi browser if required and restore bookmarks from Safari and settings from my Vivaldi account.

I have Malwarebytes free version for weekly scans.

I avoid risky web sites and links on social media.
I never sign into anything with my social media accounts like Google or Twitter.

I use a good VPN with no logging for two ended encryption on constantly, even on my iPhone.

I use either 2SV or 2FA on most of my accounts especially my Apple ID.
I have a Time Machine and a Bootable Clone of my device for restore if required both of which I backup to weekly.

I can proudly say that I haven't had a problem for some years but Malware gets smarter all the time so our defences need to as well.

Do not fall for "live" security applications which run constantly in the background sapping your resources and claim to do everything. In my experience they don't do anything particularly well. Especially MacKeeper which is in my mind an invasive and plain dangerous app.

And that's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Hi Rod

"I have Malwarebytes free version for weekly scans."

Just run similar and was asked to update to version 3 which has a yearly fee. Does the free version still do all it should?

Thanks, Sue

Later - found the free 3 version. Ignore me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.