Best way to buy mac?

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm just looking for advice/opinions

So I recently had a mid 2010 white Macbook, I bought about 5 years ago for around $900 it worked amazing the whole time until it started wanting all these updates all the time, then I noticed it acting up more.. anyways I was in the middle of doing some work for my business :Not-Amused: and my computer turned off and the power light was blinking and when I'd try to turn it back on it would stay on a black screen, I looked online and apparently that means lack of enough RAM to process anything? who the **** knows? ANYWAYS I was able to get everything off the hard drive onto an external,
my point with all this is I loved the **** out of my Mac especially for using Photoshop and its capibility to have a ton of browsers open with no lagging. I've been using an older DELL just to get by and this computer makes me want to rip my hair out on a regular basis and just try to use my phone for everything instead (which doesn't work) :Shouting:

Is it worth it to buy another Macbook? I have heard from many people say they become obsolete due to all the updates in order for apple to force you into buying a new $1000-$3000 Laptop every 5 years or so? Is this true? And if so, is it worth it to even buy a refurbished older Macbook? I need a computer for my new business and I want another Mac but I also can't afford to spend 2k on a laptop considering the money I need to be putting back into my business.

Any thoughts, opinions, advice would be very much appreciated!
:)
*Thanks for reading this!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is it worth it to buy another Macbook? I have heard from many people say they become obsolete due to all the updates in order for apple to force you into buying a new $1000-$3000 Laptop every 5 years or so?

Many users upgrade their computers every 3-5 years. Getting 5 years out of a computer is actually pretty normal & acceptable. And if you get more than 5 years out of a computer (on average) you're doing good.:)

Also consider that buying a different brand of computer will not be any better. No real reason to believe that most Windows based computer's would last any longer. In fact...many users complain that the "build quality" of many Windows laptops is terrrible. Thus the Windows computer may be doing fine getting the computing tasks done (after 3-5 years)...but it's falling apart in your hands!:(

...is it worth it to even buy a refurbished older Macbook?

Absolutely...we recommend it all the time.:) You can usually save at least 15% (or more)...and these many times are the exact same current selling models...or the previous generation (which would be less than 12 months old).

- Nick

OP
TracyMoto342
Reaction score
Hmm, Which one?

Many users upgrade their computers every 3-5 years. Getting 5 years out of a computer is actually pretty normal & acceptable. And if you get more than 5 years out of a computer (on average) you're doing good.:)

Also consider that buying a different brand of computer will not be any better. No real reason to believe that most Windows based computer's would last any longer. In fact...many users complain that the "build quality" of many Windows laptops is terrrible. Thus the Windows computer may be doing fine getting the computing tasks done (after 3-5 years)...but it's falling apart in your hands!:(

Absolutely...we recommend it all the time.:) You can usually save at least 15% (or more)...and these many times are the exact same current selling models...or the previous generation (which would be less than 12 months old).

- Nick

Thank you Nick for your reply! I am unsure of what Mac to purchase, would it be okay to purchase something as old as 2013 or would I need a newer one to get close to 5 years out of it? Photoshop is a big program I use regularly for my business so I need that program to be able to work efficiently no matter which Mac I get. I wasn't expecting to spend a lot on a Laptop right now, but I really won't even consider looking at anything except Mac anymore. I guess once you go Mac, you never go back :D

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am unsure of what Mac to purchase, would it be okay to purchase something as old as 2013 or would I need a newer one to get close to 5 years out of it?

Well...a 2013 model will certainly be better than a 2010 model.:) And if you purchase a 2013 Apple computer...it will most certainly have no warranty remaining. If having a warranty is important to you...then you either have to purchase a new Apple computer...a refurbished Apple computer...or a used Apple computer with warranty remaining (but how much is left could be important too).

But this also depends on your budget. If the budget is modest...maybe a 2013 computer is all that is purchasable at the moment.

I wasn't expecting to spend a lot on a Laptop right now...

Well...now you're part of the majority.:) Most users don't relish the idea of spending a lot of $$$$ on a used or new computer!;)

...but I really won't even consider looking at anything except Mac anymore. I guess once you go Mac, you never go back :D

Sorry...when you said above:

"Is it worth it to buy another Macbook? I have heard from many people say they become obsolete due to all the updates in order for apple to force you into buying a new $1000-$3000 Laptop every 5 years or so? Is this true? And if so, is it worth it to even buy a refurbished older Macbook?"

To me this sounds like someone doubting the idea of purchasing any newer Apple computer. Thus why I mentioned that you would be faced with these sort of issues with any computer (Apple or Windows)...Macbook or other model.

It's kind of a moot point. You gotta do what ya gotta do. You NEED a computer.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Best way to buy a Mac, or anything for that matter, is with someone else's money! (Acquired legally, of course.) :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Yes...stealing is an option;)...but risky!:(

- Nick
Did you come by this knowledge theoretically or is it based on practical experience?:Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE

So I must be doing brilliantly with my ten year old iMac :) . Hard disk replaced six years ago but still performing like new - but then it's an Apple so it would.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you come by this knowledge theoretically or is it based on practical experience?:Lips-Are-Sealed:

No comment. Oops...I guess that was a comment. Lol

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I must be doing brilliantly with my ten year old iMac :) . Hard disk replaced six years ago but still performing like new - but then it's an Apple so it would.

Ooh yes...you're doing great!:) Individual user needs & demands definitely play a big part.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.