Noob: tech hack question

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a massive novice when it comes to understanding my Mac. However I'm super paranoid at the moment and need some help.

I have a 2014 MacBook Air and it had a glass of water spilt over it a couple of months ago. Long story short I ended up taking it to a small back ally repair place without prior knowledge that it may not be the most reputable place.

The guy was able to fix it and then returned it but I got very dodgy vibes from him... Anyway he gave me a 3 month warranty on the part under the condition that the back was not removed.

This is what got me thinking, is it possible he could place some sort of chip or something in my computer which would allow him to see everything I'm doing/ steal info? Am I too paranoid?

I was already worried he had access to all the files ect on my computer so I just wanted to ask people's opinion if I should take it to a proper shop and have them look at it for anything suspicious.

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I think you're being paranoid. It's common practice in the electronic repair business when a warranty is given that the item under warranty is not messed with by the owner. That's why he stated that the back should not be removed.

By the way, spills are unpredictable so that even when repairs are made, other troubles may show up as time goes by. Lesson learned? No food or drinks next to your computer. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 2014 MacBook Air and it had a glass of water spilt over it a couple of months ago. Long story short I ended up taking it to a small back ally repair place without prior knowledge that it may not be the most reputable place.

The guy was able to fix it and then returned it but I got very dodgy vibes from him... Anyway he gave me a 3 month warranty on the part under the condition that the back was not removed.

3 month is warranty normal. The most likely reason why he doesn't want you removing the back is...he doesn't want you fiddling around inside...cause a problem...then blame it on him.

This is what got me thinking, is it possible he could place some sort of chip or something in my computer which would allow him to see everything I'm doing/ steal info? Am I too paranoid?

Thinking too much & paranoid. You're watching too many James Bond and Mission Impossible movies!;)

Be happy that he got it working in the 1st place. MANY times liquid spilled computers are not repairable...or at least not repairable for a price that's worth it.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.