HI8 analog camcorder transfer to Mac Sierra 10.12.6

Reaction score
Can anyone reccomend a software package to convert the 100 Hi8 and Digital 8 movies I have from the 90's??. I have Toast Titanium Pro 15 but Roxio tells me it won't work??

Cant believe I am the only guy out there with all these movies my kids have never seem?;)
So I just purchased an old Sony 830 camcorder with i-link, bought also Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter & a 9 pin/4-pin Bilingual Firewire 400 cable to connect my Sony camera directly to Mac Thunderbolt port. Should work right?
I understand new iMovie version will not work with analog conversion, so I have updated Toast Titanium Pro for Sierra latest version. Roxio says that software won't work?
I don't have the camera yet, just bought on eBay.

1)Will I be able to import the camera footage from tapes directly to Toast?
2)Do you know a better Software program I can use with this same hook up to my Mac, most come with USB connection and software?
I have so many home movies our children have never seen, it will be a blast to edit into movies for them!! Really excited to edit 100's of tapes for my parents as well vs 10-15 a pop on Legacy Box!!
Will I be able to do this with updated Toast Titanium Pro? Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What versions of iMovie do you have access to? You may be able to get an older version, of iLife on DVD, that will be able to do what you are looking for? What model and year is the Mac you are using?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might be able to do the transfer using the version of QuickTime Player X that is included with the OS. Try the following procedure once you have the camera:
1. Connect the camera to the firewire adapter that you have.
2. Launch QuickTime Player X and choose New Movie Recording from the file menu
3. The directions in this video will explain a bit more. They are f9or an older version of the program but the process is essentially the same. In newer versions of QuickTime Player the downward triangle is immediately to the right of the record button. Click the triangle to see if your camera appears in the list of audio and video sources.
4. Start the recording then start your tape in the camera.

If this process does not work let us know. There may be some changes in the camera settings that need to be made.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you very much, I'll give that a shot!
Roxio says this should work, any idea?Easy VHS to DVD 3 Plus and Easy VHS for MAC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.