Safari/VPN conflict.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Good morning all, OK Yes I know this is probably not the right place for this thread, I have searched using the same heading as this thread, I get lots of entries regarding the subject but cannot see how to write a new one.
Right down to the business in hand - I have paid for and tried to download a VPN from Zoogvpn.com . I click on the Redemption link and all I get is -- Safari can't open the page https://zoogvpn.com/redeem because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server zoogvpn.com
I have tried doing the same on Google chrome but because I used Safari web page for the purchase as soon as I click the redemption button I get the Safari reply as stated above. In my honest opinion I feel I have been sold a Pig in a Poke as the old saying goes. I have contacted the Company via text and all I get is a stereo type reply and get the same ending to the process; moving on; I am thinking perhaps it is down to security settings on my Apple Mac Mini??????
Please does anyone know of a way round this or am I being really stupid as usual?
With best wishes from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
What is the EXACT error that you're getting? And, have you tried looking at the certificate for the site? There are instances of issues in the past that were certificate related that you simply had to wait for things to work themselves out.

Have you considered changing the default browser on your Mac to Chrome so that clicking a link won't bring it up in Safari? The link you posted opens fine for me in Chrome AND in Safari, so it's possible that it's related to security settings as you mentioned. But, I would try changing the default browser for the purposes of getting your code redeemed and see what happens.

What version of Mac OS Sierra are you running? I have 10.12.6 on mine. It's possible that your version of the OS doesn't properly support the encryption protocols they're using with that cert, too.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Ember1205, Thanks for your reply and in answer to your question I am running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and I have made sure all my security is turned off, in Apple security & privacy the fire vault is off and the firewall is also off. I have ABP and that is disabled along with filter lists. After doing all that I tried to redeem on zoogvpn using Safari with Yahoo riding piggy back on it; I tried Chrome also riding piggy back; then google chrome riding piggy back; nothing works at all. The end result is always that the site I would like to connect to is insecure. In a moment of "inspiration during a brainstorm" I fired up my Apple MacBook Pro, I made sure all security items were disabled and tried again, the end result was a carbon copy of the whole performance on the Mini. The only difference is that the MacBook Pro 13 inch is running El Capitan; so much for inspirations and brainstorms. After all that I am in a state of disbelief that nothing seems to work.

Best wishes from Keith in Derby England.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I was able to visit that site as well without any issues. The one difference is that both Ember and I are in the US while you are in the UK. Let's see if our frequent members from the UK/AUS can hit that site as well and narrow it down to some sort of geographical thing..

In the meanwhile, I know you've already paid for this service, but can you try to see if you can access the https://www.expressvpn.com/ site? I've used them in the past while traveling in China and found them to be great. They have very flexible plans and also a 30-day money back guarantee..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you getting any sort of message about a specific piece of the certificate chain being untrusted or invalid? This sort of thing has happened before, and the only solution is to wait it out until things clear up from a Certificate Revocation List problem or something.

Any chance you can grab a screen shot of an error? What if you open up the security / certificate information after trying to connect and post a screen grab of that?

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Raz0rEdge, I tried the link you provided in your reply but all I got was the same as with zoogvpn.com, Safari was unable to access the site. I am now "grabbing straws" to keep afloat and wonder if my internet provider is to blame. That is silly really but one never knows, I am on Virgin Media here in England and regularly get over 100 mb/sec download speed - no complaints there then!Unless some-one else comes up with a solution I am well and truly lost as to what to do next.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You definitely need to check the certificate chain. Some providers insert themselves into connections (even secure ones) transparently and that can break cert chains.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, I am operating in a thick fog here, I have taken a screen shot - /Users/keithwells/Desktop/Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 16.00.20.png I have not got a clue as to what I am doing but I have tried my best on this one. Of course it might not work but I hope so.

Sorry but I have just tried to pull up my screen shot and nothing happened, oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can't get to the main site of these VPN sites, then your ISP is likely to be blamed..

Please do the following in a Terminal window
Code:
dig expressvpn.com

I get the following results
Code:
; <<>> DiG 9.9.7-P3 <<>> expressvpn.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 47774
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 8, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;expressvpn.com.			IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
expressvpn.com.		59	IN	A	52.85.93.72
expressvpn.com.		59	IN	A	52.85.93.105
expressvpn.com.		59	IN	A	52.85.93.81
expressvpn.com.		59	IN	A	52.85.93.18
expressvpn.com.		59	IN	A	52.85.93.156
expressvpn.com.		59	IN	A	52.85.93.134
expressvpn.com.		59	IN	A	52.85.93.102
expressvpn.com.		59	IN	A	52.85.93.152

;; Query time: 56 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Tue Oct 10 11:02:41 EDT 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 171

I am using Google's DNS of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for all of my name resolution needs.

If your 'dig' response fails or doesn't look anything like mine. Then go to System Preferences->Network. Click on whatever is your active connection (WiFi or Wired) and then click on Advanced on the bottom right. Now click on the DNS tab and add the values of 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in there.

Now re-run the 'dig' command to see if you get a better result.

Return to Safari and try to access the VPN sites again..

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ashwin, very sorry but I fail miserably at the first hurdle! What on earth is a Terminal window????????????????????? i plead Senior Moments here being 83 years young? sorry old! I have never heard of a Terminal window or any thing like it. If I manage to get a Terminal window on screen is the oblong box under the word 'Code' a screen shot and will I see a replica of that on my screen?

Now moving on 'using Google's DNS' , what on earth is one of those???

I have looked in System Preferences > Network etc and see two boxes side by side. Into which box do I insert 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and in what configuration, side by side or one under the other?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keith, no worries..you can open the Terminal by hitting CMD+space to bring up the Spotlight search and then start typing in 'terminal' until it fills it in for you. Once filled in, hit enter and you will now be in the Terminal (command line) window.

You will be at a blinking cursor where you type the command from my previous post..

As far as the DNS stuff goes, a picture is a worth of a 1000 words..:)

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 12.49.01 PM.png

Click on the + and then enter the info..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Good morning all, OK Yes I know this is probably not the right place for this thread, I have searched using the same heading as this thread, I get lots of entries regarding the subject but cannot see how to write a new one.
Right down to the business in hand - I have paid for and tried to download a VPN from Zoogvpn.com . I click on the Redemption link and all I get is -- Safari can't open the page https://zoogvpn.com/redeem because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server zoogvpn.com
I have tried doing the same on Google chrome but because I used Safari web page for the purchase as soon as I click the redemption button I get the Safari reply as stated above. In my honest opinion I feel I have been sold a Pig in a Poke as the old saying goes. I have contacted the Company via text and all I get is a stereo type reply and get the same ending to the process; moving on; I am thinking perhaps it is down to security settings on my Apple Mac Mini??????
Please does anyone know of a way round this or am I being really stupid as usual?
With best wishes from Keith in Derby England.

I’m getting the same error when I try to go to that website on my iPad. I’m in the US on a public hotspot at the moment. I have a similar problem if I am logged out my own VPN provider’s app on my iPad, but if I use my iPhone as a hotspot, I have no troubles logging in. I can reach the website in question here if I use my iPhone’s hotspot, so I have to agree with the others that the problem appears to be the ISP (in my case, it’s the “managed” public WiFi network). Do you have a smartphone that you can use as a hotspot and connect your computer to that instead?

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HI lifeisabeach, I AM SO SORRY but I am not clever enough to offer any assistance! Yes I do have a smart phone, Apple iPhone 5c, but do not use it on the internet. To me it is simply a mobile phone/text machine - nothing more and nothing less so I cannot help at all. So very sorry my friend but all I can say is read this post totally and in your own mind modify it to suit your problem.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good morning to Ember1205 and Raz0rEdge, Both of you need a medal as big as the earth! Between you you have led me up the right path to solve my problem. The numbers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 was the only alteration I had to make; it just goes to prove the old saying that 'Knowledge is Power' is perfectly true. I did all that both of you recommended and that last little bit of information seemed to be the KEY. From here in England I take my hat off to both of you; thank you so very very much.
Best wishes from Keith in Derby England

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keith,

Really glad that you were able to get it working by changing the DNS servers that your machine uses. Hopefully, it holds up for you and you have continued success.

Ashwin deserves the credit on this one as I was nowhere near that particular change as a suggestion. :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keith,

Just for future reference and your own education..the DNS (Domain Name Service) is something that resolves things like google.com to an IP (Internet Protocol) address that is publicly accessible. Without a DNS, you would have to remember the IP addresses of all the sites you wanted to visit (not a feasible thing)..

A truly neutral DNS would just take the incoming name request, translate it an IP address and provide a response. Every ISP provides a DNS as part of their Internet service and unless you go out of your way (like you just did) to change it, you end up using their service. No ISP, however, provides a neutral DNS service and they are more than happy to restrict, block or otherwise redirect your request to wherever they feel like sending you. DNS' are a great way of blacklisting sites that you don't want people to visit. Companies that have very stringent Internet access rules will use an internal DNS (without the ability to change it) that will whitelist specifics sites..

Hopefully the Google DNS' are neutral..but if you have any qualms about using Google's DNS, there are numerous other public DNS addresses that you could use instead..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.