Series 3 Brightness

Reaction score
My wife and I just upgraded from a Series 1 watch to Series 3. She has the 38mm, me the 42mm. She swears the 42mm looks much brighter than the 38mm. Also, she does not see much difference in brightness between the Series 1 450nits versus the Series 3 1000nits. (At the same brightness settings)

Does anyone have any experience with this, is the change in brightness noticeable between sizes? Is is the 450 versus 1000 nits noticeable in normal use? I read something that you would only notice the difference in bright sunlight, but it has been cloudy since we got them and I cannot tell. And, what about the brightness between sizes, are they really different?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I like the 42mm size. I have owned a Series 0, 2 and now a Series 3. Honestly I have not seen a difference other that to me, the Series 3 looks to have more contrast which gives it a crisper look. As for the brightness, I set it up to suit me and really never check it again. As to how it looks in sunlight I really have not checked it out. Now you have me curious. I will check it out and post back - as soon as it quits raining! ;D

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Update - we have sunshine today!!! Not sure for how long as rain is called for. I can safely say in direct sunlight the AW3 is very readable - for which I am glad!

I have a friend with the 38mm. Truly we have looked at both sizes and decided the only difference is one is smaller. Brightness and crispness is the same.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.