• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Newbie Question About Downloading Videos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac A1224 2009 2.66 GHz 320 GB
Hello group. If my 9 years of using Macs were compressed into hours you could say that I have about 6 months of experience. I've been learning a bit at a time. My desktop computer is early 2009 20" iMac MB417LL/A with 10.11.6. It cannot handle Sierra which is no loss to me. I need an app for downloading videos that is clean of bugs and functional with my iMac. My browsers are Safari 10 and Firefox 55.
I am not into creating and editing at this time. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I need an app for downloading videos that is clean of bugs and functional with my iMac.

I'm afraid that I'm not really understanding your problem to what you're actually looking for and what you're exactly wanting to do…

Maybe add some more details and BTW, I didn't notice anyone else bothering to reply so it may not be just me not understanding…

- Patrick
======

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm afraid that I'm not really understanding your problem to what you're actually looking for and what you're exactly wanting to do…

Maybe add some more details and BTW, I didn't notice anyone else bothering to reply so it may not be just me not understanding…

- Patrick
======

When I am at a news site with videos I often want to archive a video to a hard drive. A search shows that there are many apps/plugins that can download videos but I will not add a plugin or app that is not proven to be free of malware. This page from YouTube is an example of what I encounter on the web. I recently added VLC to apps. Will VLC be adequate or is there something better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VedZdklSyxs

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@echosyn618

My first comment about the video you posted is that the method demonstrated seems unbearably lengthy and complicated - and the demonstration was on a Windows platform.

There are, as you have stated, numerous video downloaders. Some are specifically for YouTube; others allegedly can download from any site.

I'm pretty sure you have researched the options already, but here are two Review sites you might look at:

https://itube.aimersoft.com/download-youtube/top-free-youtube-downloader-for-mac.html
https://mac.eltima.com/list-of-best-youtube-downloaders.html

You will see that these are primarily directed at YouTube and this is part of your difficulty - finding one that will download from any site.

I have personal experience of ClipGrab which worked on more or less any site; but the developer seems slow at keeping it up to date with the latest Operating Systems.

YTD worked for me too; but be advised that if installed, it tries to change your preferences to favour Yahoo and you will probably wish to change these back to suit you. Bit of hassle.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific or helpful.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you tried, right clicking on the video, and selecting download, or save? That works on some videos. Also, if you click on Safari, in the menu bar, select Extensions, this will bring up Apple approved extensions available, from there, search for video downloaders available for your version of Safari.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Very good suggestion, Bob.

The actual Extension page that one is directed to , has no suggestions and Search finds none; but if you click the arrow link to the App Store - (or simply go into the App Store app on your Mac) - and then Search on there, you come across about 6 or 7 possibilities - mostly pay-for.

I have no experience of any of these.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Will VLC be adequate or is there something better?

I don't know but just thought I'd relay an offer I just got via email this morning and the offer is available here:

PullTube is the only online video downloader you’ll ever need. Not only does it look really great, it allows you to: Download almost any online video or playlist (YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Facebook, Instagram, Soundcloud, Cloudmix, Bandcamp, Youku, iQYi and many others)

Discount
50%
http://twodollartues.com/deals/pulltube-video-downloader/

Also, from another email offer (but my link is for me only) so use a google search for VideoBox for Mac:
Grab videos to take with you wherever you go
VideoBox allows you to quickly and easily download Flash video from almost every video streaming site out there today. Your videos will be converted and optimized for use on any device. Download multiple videos at once and make it easy to add videos to your queue with a Safari bookmarklet that will get you downloading new videos with 1-click. Grab this great tool for half off today with this exclusive offer from MacUpdate!
Compatible with OS X 10.7 and up to macOS 10.13
Discount 50% Now $7.50

But Bob's suggestions seem pretty good and simple and paid for if they work.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
In Firefox, go to the Mozilla extensions page and download Video Download Helper. Been using it for years and I have found there's not many things it cant download.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In Firefox, go to the Mozilla extensions page and download Video Download Helper. Been using it for years and I have found there's not many things it cant download.

Thank you kind people very much! I will print this and go on a journey.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.