Can't logging into iTunes (10.6.3) on older iMac

Reaction score
I am using an older iMac I got from my daughter.

I am having trouble logging into my iTunes account on this computer. It told me I entered the wrong password, then locked me out. I reset the password using the proscribed method, only to get the same message when I tried again. I am 100% sure I entered the correct information.

I know the computer is old, but it works fine. Its fast, for what I do, internet surfing, email, calendar, etc. I have been able to log in to iTunes on my PC without any issue in the past. Just can't get it to work on this iMac.

Any help you can provide will be deeply appreciated.

Regards,
PAC

If it helps, I am using the following.
iMac 9,1 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz, 4GB memory, 6MB L2 Cache
OS X 10.5.8
iTunes 10.6.3
Safari 5.0.6

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I suspect that you were using your Apple ID and password from your PC to access your iTunes account. The version of macOS 10.5.8 (Leopard) and the version of iTunes 10.6.3 are very old and do not support an Apple ID and password. I believe it's asking for your Admin password for your account on the iMac. Did you try that?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is another possibility. Did you enable 2 Factor Authentication on your Apple account? If you did the older iTunes and OS has no support for that and it will not let you log in.

If the answer is yes and you did turn on 2-Factor Auth, do you have another newer apple device? If so when you try and log in and it fails the new iPad or iPhone will show you the 6 digit code, you enter your password and right after that with no spaces the code and it logs in! Works with even my iPad 1 with IOS 5.

If that is not the issue and you are not using 2-factor then what Charlie said above is your issue.

That iMac can be upgraded to a newer OS and 4-6GB RAM which would take care of the issue Charlie mentioned but if it's say Mountain Lion 10.8 you still need to do what I said above if you have 2 factor enabled. At least I had to here with ML and itunes for it to log into Apple to use the sharing feature in iTunes called Home Sharing.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes I am using the same password & ID. As for iTunes, it ask for password and ID, Same thing I've been doing since I started using iTunes years ago, at 2004 or so. I'll try administrator PW to see if it works.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

PAC

Welcome to our forums.

I suspect that you were using your Apple ID and password from your PC to access your iTunes account. The version of macOS 10.5.8 (Leopard) and the version of iTunes 10.6.3 are very old and do not support an Apple ID and password. I believe it's asking for your Admin password for your account on the iMac. Did you try that?

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes I am using 2 factor authentication, I get notification and enter 6 digit code. I have an iPhone 7Plus with iOS11 and two older iPads (1 & 2), no issues there. I've tried to upgrade both OS and iTunes to newer versions, but can't. I get message saying I'm up to date. Tried it manually but get msg saying I can't. I don't mind not having newest iTunes or OS, but I'd like to be able to use iTunes to sync my devices.

I'm trying this computer out to see if I want to make the switch from PC to Mac. Anyway thank you for your suggestions and trying to help.

I wonder if I can turn off 2 factor auth.? Maybe I'll try that.

PAC

There is another possibility. Did you enable 2 Factor Authentication on your Apple account? If you did the older iTunes and OS has no support for that and it will not let you log in.

If the answer is yes and you did turn on 2-Factor Auth, do you have another newer apple device? If so when you try and log in and it fails the new iPad or iPhone will show you the 6 digit code, you enter your password and right after that with no spaces the code and it logs in! Works with even my iPad 1 with IOS 5.

If that is not the issue and you are not using 2-factor then what Charlie said above is your issue.

That iMac can be upgraded to a newer OS and 4-6GB RAM which would take care of the issue Charlie mentioned but if it's say Mountain Lion 10.8 you still need to do what I said above if you have 2 factor enabled. At least I had to here with ML and itunes for it to log into Apple to use the sharing feature in iTunes called Home Sharing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.