Multifunction printer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, iPhone 7 Plus
Hello to everyone
I suspect that this question has been asked before. I'm afraid that I could not find the answer, my apologies in advance. My question are there recommendations for a Mac multifunction printer. Since the purchase of my Mac recently I have struggled with using my oldish HP printer. it puts far too much ink on the paper so much so that the text is visible on the reverse side. i have tried utilities to no avail and there isn't a facility to print in draft mode. I have read some negative user replies elsewhere. Have other members have good reviews and recommendations Please.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've moved your post out of a totally unrelated thread into a thread of it's own. Please pay attention to where you are posting your questions..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're struggling with using your "oldish HP printer", then it is time to buy a new one. I personally recommend the multifunction printers by Brother, however, others who post here have had good results with Canon, Epson, and HP. Be careful not to buy an inexpensive printer that will cost you an arm and a leg in consumables.

OP
Chrysippus279
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My apologies for failing to enter my post into the an appropriate section, I know it's hardly an excuse that in my haste to post my query I omitted to fully locate Other hardware and Peripherals. Yes my ageing HP printer needs to be retired. I will look into the makes recommended, are there any specific models that I should investigate ? Many thanks once a again.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Any recent enough printer should be fine. I have a Canon MF8380CDW (color laser printer) that I connect to wirelessly from all the Macs in my house and it works great. In my office, we have recent Dell and Samsung printers which work great. The Dell has AirPrint support and also works with our iOS devices in the office.

OP
Chrysippus279
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks for your prompt reply I will look into those models that you have mentioned certainly a good selection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
We have had good luck with HP printers, in the past, with both Macs and Win PC's. Right now, we are using an Epson for the first time, but we haven't been printing as much, since we got it.

OP
Chrysippus279
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello and thank you for your reply. I would be very interested to know the precise models of HP and Epson that you have or had. My aged HP printer since switching to Mac has not been as good print wise, there is far too much ink being put on the paper. In most cases the print can be seen on the reverse side not so when printed with errmm I'll say this quietly Windows. The HP scanner flatly refuses to work, I've tried several times all to no avail. A purchase of a MFP is definitely the way to go. Thanks once again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
The last HP printer we had died four years ago, and it was from 2005, but I don't remember the model number. The great feature for that one was it had ink reservoirs, so the ink s would not dry in the inkjet head. When that died, we tried a Samsung laser printer, but we weren't happy with it. Since we haven't been printing as often these past few years, we were in no rush to replace it, but when the toner was gone we got the Epson XP-620. That was in 2015 and we love the quality for the images and the speed with regular documents.

https://epson.com/For-Home/Printers...-Small-in-One-All-in-One-Printer/p/C11CE01201

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 11 Mac Mini, 2.5Gh i5, 16 GB Ram, 500 Gb SSD Sys disk, 1 Tb Data disk
I'm using an Epson WF-3640. Wireless, 2 paper trays about 200 sheet size each, all-in-one with scanner sheet feeder and backside feed slot, will use a larger size black cartridge if you do a lot of straight text. Fairly quiet and fast. Cost me $98 about a year ago. I've always been partial to Epson. No problems with it except it starts saying ink getting low while I can still print 30-40 full pages of text.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
In the UK you can get a good wifi MFP for around £60 but, as mentioned in #3, check out the cost of replacement ink cartridges, including compatibles, before making a decision. I bought a Canon MG6600 a couple of years ago and can get a full set of five compatible inks for £3, less for multiple packs, on ebay. Not necessarily recommending Canon as it can be a bit temperamental, especially around paper sizes which is a nuisance when it is upstairs in my house. Even if the printer will be sitting next to your Mac, a wifi operation dispenses with the mess of cables. In the past I've had excellent reliability and print quality from Epson.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've got an HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer. It's wireless (to router and direct), has AirPrint, webprint etc.
No issues at all on Mac, Windows or iOS. There are slightly newer versions of this now but they're all very similar. I also use the instant ink subscription. Won't suit everyone but I pay £2 per month, can print 50 pages each month (text, photos, doesn't matter) and they send me cartridges in advance so I always have a spare. The pages rollover month to month if not used too. They have different levels should you need more.
As I say, doesn't suit everyone, but I've gone from buying 3 sets + of cartridges per year ~£42 to paying £24 per year. Plus I never have to think about buying ink. Not sure if other manufacturers offer a similar service.

OP
Chrysippus279
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks for the replies. I haven't as yet made my purchase, one or two things have taken precedence and my imminent purchase has had to take the proverbial back seat. I still intend changing my ageing HP 8450 printer for an up to date multi function the option of air print sounds great.
As a newcomer to Mac there's quite a learning curve for me and there's quite a lot to think about. All the information is very interesting I am indebted to all who have contributed. Many thanks once again for all your replies and attention to my query.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.