Trash bucket problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Issue with my 2 year old MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015). MacOS Sierra. 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7. 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3. 1TB HD.

This morning I placed several items, all small Microsoft excel and word files, into the Trash.

Anyway, when I went to empty the Trash it "hung up". Had to force reboot the machine.

Opened the Trash after the reboot and found the several files I had previously placed there and one additional file called "Backups.backupdb" with a Date Created of Jan 24, 1984!

The modification date shows early this morning when I was on the computer but in NO WAY did I move or copy anything like that. The folder size is not shown.

I know that's the name of the folder when I do a Time Machine backup, but I haven't backed up in at least a month. Time Machine backups are kept on an external hard drive.

So when I try to empty the Trash it either hangs up or I get an error code -8072.

What's going on and how do I get ride of the folder in question?

Art

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
How much free space is left on your drive?

That Time Machine folder is probably stuff that time Machine deleted automatically shortly after you logged in to the computer. If you have Time Machine configured but have not connected the external drive in a month Time Machine has probably been putting its backup files on your internal drive. Time Machine creates these snapshots by default on notebook Macs unless you take steps to change the behavior.

BTW not intending to be rude but if you haven't backed up in a month that's not a very effective strategy. If there were a failure you're reduced to however your system was set up a month ago in addition to whatever personal data is lost.

Edit: If you didn't put that Time Machine backup folder and Time machine is you will probably have to delete it by turning Time Machine off temporarily from the System Preferences pane.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Sly

I'm just wondering - if fireman hasn't backed up to Time Machine in the last month and the Trash won't delete, what would be your take on this suggestion:

fireman connects his TM to the Mac, lets it BU in the usual way (it may take a while) and when the BU is complete - and with the TM External Hard Drive still connected - then tries to empty Trash?

In a sense, the Trash that won't delete may "belong" to the TM EHD?

Does that sound reasonable?

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a good idea. I didn't think of that. It's well worth a try.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Slydude and IWT - backing up per suggestion. Doing a full backup.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Did complete backup. Still have the issue. :Evil:

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Error Code 8072 is a permissions problem, I think.

Try the following first:

With the EHD still connected -

Open Trash. Highlight the items. Hold down Command + Option + Backspace. This will open a dialogue box saying something like "Sure you want to Delete these items". Hit Delete.

If that doesn't work, then download an app we frequently recommend on these Forums - OnyX. Found here: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Make sure you download the version specific to your Operating System (macOS Sierra). Install.

When running, Click on "Cleaning" and from the Menu Bar, choose "Trash". Then click "Execute".

That should sort things.

Please post back.

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes I'd like to hear back on that one too.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Error Code 8072 is a permissions problem, I think.

Try the following first:

With the EHD still connected -

Open Trash. Highlight the items. Hold down Command + Option + Backspace. This will open a dialogue box saying something like "Sure you want to Delete these items". Hit Delete.

If that doesn't work, then download an app we frequently recommend on these Forums - OnyX. Found here: https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Make sure you download the version specific to your Operating System (macOS Sierra). Install.

When running, Click on "Cleaning" and from the Menu Bar, choose "Trash". Then click "Execute".

That should sort things.

Please post back.

Ian
No luck with Command + Option + Backspace. Get an error that says "The operation can’t be completed because the item “Macintosh HD” is in use."

Not sure what's that about. Anyway, I'll try the other items in a day or two. I want to see if anyone comments on the above.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right. That gives us the reason.

Before OnyX, one last try. With the TM EHD attached, reboot the Mac.

Then use the Cmd + Option + Backspace method again.

That fails, OnyX will do the job - at least it has never failed me.

Ian

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Had a brain wave. Forgot that I had an external drive "unhooked". Shut computer down and reattached the drive.

Started computer back up and made certain that it "saw" the drive. It did, then did a normal "empty trash" process and voila . . . . all gone! :)

Needless to say, thanks for ALL the help!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That did it. The "trash" is a separate file on each drive. If the trash is emptied while a drive is unavailable (disconnected/otherwise unavailable) any files in the trash that are associated with that drive can't be removed.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
That did it. The "trash" is a separate file on each drive. If the trash is emptied while a drive is unavailable (disconnected/otherwise unavailable) any files in the trash that are associated with that drive can't be removed.

I was never aware of that. This shows that an old dog can learn new "tricks". Thanks again!! :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.