VGA resolutions using HDMI on MBP

Reaction score
Greetings.

A recent swticher, I'm running Sierra 10.6.12 on a 2013 MBP. When I connect a VGA monitor to the Thunderbolt port, then in the Display configuration, I get a list of resolution options from which I can select. Looks/works great, but I need the Tbolt port for other hardware. I found the Moread HDMI-to-VGA adaptor on amazon.com, and it works quite well. However, now in the Display configuration options, I only have 1024x768 as the only available resolution.

Is there some way to get back the list of resolution options in this scenario?

TIA,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Is there some way to get back the list of resolution options in this scenario?

Not all adapters are created equal. ;) Most cheaper adaptors sold on Amazon or eBay are not up to standard and can actually reduce the capability of the output. You might want to fork out the dollars for a genuine Apple HDMI to VGA adapter.

OP
O
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

Not all adapters are created equal. ;) Most cheaper adaptors sold on Amazon or eBay are not up to standard and can actually reduce the capability of the output. You might want to fork out the dollars for a genuine Apple HDMI to VGA adapter.

I'd be happy to, but I couldn't locate one. The Moread was the only powered one I could find anywhere. No Apple at all. Please do point me in the direction of better ones; I'd purchase one in a second. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It appears you are correct in that your 2013 MacBook Pro only has one HDMI and one TB port. Apple does not have an Adapter which does HDMI to VGA, but rather MDP to VGA which doesn't help you.

However, both Newegg and Best Buy sell an HDMI to VGA adapter for around the same price ($29). Why do you need a powered adapter? And I imagine you would want one that also provides sound?

I have to tell you that VGA monitors just aren't used very much nowadays. I'm not suggesting you buy a new monitor, but it may not be a bad idea especially since large monitors are inexpensive as long as you don't need one with a very high resolution.

OP
O
Reaction score
Nope, don't need audio from the HDMI adaptor. Power is required, as the HDMI port on the MBP doesn't provide enough of a signal to drive a VGA. Unpowered adaptors result in blank screens. I know VGA isn't cutting edge, but it's for a rather specialized setup. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.