• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD menu w/Selectable Chapters

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
I think I posted this once before but trying again.

1. I need to create simple instructional DVDs. I need them to display, upon opening, a menu with a list of the chapters & I need the viewer of the disc to be able to use their remote to select a desired chapter, click on it and have the DVD begin playing the program from that spot. When I rent a movie, this is how it works for me. Additionally, at any time they should be able to hit the "DISC MENU" option on the remote to shoot back to this opening menu. Again, just like basic movie DVDs I rent.

2. I have not been able to find a program, to date, that allows me to do so & requests to the various firms putting out video editing software have drawn a blank.

3. As a dumb old geezer & a luddite, I find anything but the simplest operations on my iMovie 10.0.8 software running on my iMac with OS 10.10.5 leave me in the dust.

PLEASE! can someone help me out here? It is so frustrating to be unable to create this, to me, simple menu operation comparted to the hijinks and acrobatics that iMovie & other programs are capable of. I am sure there is a free or low cost program that can do this.

Thank you for your help!!!!:p

geezerdh

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think I posted this once before but trying again.

If you did...it wasn't here at Mac-Forums. None of your 18 Mac-Forums posts seems to relate to this topic.;)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
If you did...it wasn't here at Mac-Forums. None of your 18 Mac-Forums posts seems to relate to this topic.;)

- Nick

Well as Dion & The Belmonts would sing,...."Who Knows Where or When?" Hope someone has the answer tho.

Thanks,

DH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I need them to display, upon opening, a menu with a list of the chapters & I need the viewer of the disc to be able to use their remote to select a desired chapter, click on it and have the DVD begin playing the program from that spot.
That should be easy enough. Create each of your Chapters as a movie with iMovie and then Share them from iMovie using the File option.

This will give you individual movie files for each Chapter.

Download the free Burn.
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Use that to create your DVD. Run Burn, select "Video" from the four options at the top and DVD Video from the drop down/popup menu on the right. In Burn's Preferences>Video>General, choose PAL or NTSC. Under the DVD tab, you can select "Use DVD Theme" at the bottom. I would use the Default. It will show your Chapters as icons rather than text.

Drag and drop you Chapters into the Burn window. You'll be asked about file conversion. Answer "Yes", because that's the way it works. When ready, click "Burn".

When the DVD is played, the user will be able to choose the Chapters. The only thing I can't guarantee is the return using the Menu button on the remotes I've never tried it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
That should be easy enough. Create each of your Chapters as a movie with iMovie and then Share them from iMovie using the File option.

This will give you individual movie files for each Chapter.

Download the free Burn.
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Use that to create your DVD. Run Burn, select "Video" from the four options at the top and DVD Video from the drop down/popup menu on the right. In Burn's Preferences>Video>General, choose PAL or NTSC. Under the DVD tab, you can select "Use DVD Theme" at the bottom. I would use the Default. It will show your Chapters as icons rather than text.

Drag and drop you Chapters into the Burn window. You'll be asked about file conversion. Answer "Yes", because that's the way it works. When ready, click "Burn".

When the DVD is played, the user will be able to choose the Chapters. The only thing I can't guarantee is the return using the Menu button on the remotes I've never tried it.

When I tried to open "BURN" I got message that my security preferences blocked it as it is from an unknown developer. Too tired to work it out. Will get it sorted over next few days.

Thanks for your help.

DH

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're running into a security feature called Gatekeeper. Software installations from unidentified developers requires an extra step or two. Try following one of the methods outlined here then try to install Burn.

Just in case you're wondering there's a lot of legitimate software out there, including Burn, which triggers the Gatekeeper warning. Burn is safe. I have it on my system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
When I tried to open "BURN" I got message that my security preferences blocked it as it is from an unknown developer.
Usually, Right/Ctrl clicking and then choosing "Open" from the popup will work.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
Usually, Right/Ctrl clicking and then choosing "Open" from the popup will work.

Thanks, got it working. Wish the menu page could be a little prettier but I got it to do the basics & that is fine for now.

Thanks for all your help.

DH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.