How to point mac's IP Address into VMWare Fusion OS?

Reaction score
[Edited link which was broken]
Hi,

I have a few macbookpros in the company and we have VMWare Fusion installed.

Our VMware Fusion contains Windows 7.

We used Windows 7 to access an intranet web page which we are only able to access through windows 7. Mac and safari are not able to access this page.

1st Problem: For some reasons, I am unable to bring up this page in VM, I was informed that I need to point the ip address of the page thru mac and into the adapter in VM.

2nd Problem: Even if I get the page up once, subsequently, the page doesn't comes up anymore. It seems the routes were not able to re-route the ip address.

Please advise if any of you can help.

Belows are some of the links I was informed maybe of help, however, my programmings are not that good but I'm willing to learn this.

https://www.jverdeyen.be/mac/persistent-static-routes-mac-os-x/

http://anandmpandit.blogspot.sg/2011/07/how-to-add-persistentpermanent-routes_26.html

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The links you've provided are to setup a static IP address for Mac OS X and that doesn't help the VM or Windows in any way. The reason you are using an IP address directly is likely that you don't have a local DNS running that is resolving a name to the IP.

Either way, what you should do is within the VM and under Windows, go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and edit the file hosts there as Administrator. There you will add a new entry for the IP address you have, you can give it a nice name and follow it with the IP like
Code:
company.page      xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx

With this in this place, you should be able to use Internet Explorer and the url http://company.page (or HTTPS if you prefer) and have it load..

OP
J
Reaction score
The links you've provided are to setup a static IP address for Mac OS X and that doesn't help the VM or Windows in any way. The reason you are using an IP address directly is likely that you don't have a local DNS running that is resolving a name to the IP.

Either way, what you should do is within the VM and under Windows, go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc and edit the file hosts there as Administrator. There you will add a new entry for the IP address you have, you can give it a nice name and follow it with the IP like
Code:
company.page      xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx

With this in this place, you should be able to use Internet Explorer and the url http://company.page (or HTTPS if you prefer) and have it load..

Hi Raz0rEdge,

Thanks for your reply.

I tried what you suggested however, it still doesn't go through. I believe it has to do with the ip address.

For the purpose of experiment,

I have two MBP. MBP A and MBP B
MBP A was able to access the intranet page, whereas MBP B was not.

To be sure, both has a static Ip address.

I notice that the host file in MBP A doesn't has any ip address, as you have suggested, to direct the IE to the intranet page; but it is still able to access the page.

Hope to have some help.

thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There are two parts to the equation here..the initiator (your MBPs) could have a dynamic IP address and target a webpage directly using the IP address. As long as the IP address is known, this should work. The other method (for security purposes) is to require that the initiator have a static IP address and then there are routing rules in place to allow either a specific list of static IP addresses or a range of them go get to the destination website..

I provide the information above just so that we are all on the same page.

Now you say that both the machines have static IP addresses, can you type "tracert <website_ip_address>" on MBP A's terminal window and do the same on MBP B to see what the difference is?

Also, temporarily assign MBP B the same static IP address as MBP A while shutting off MBP A to avoid any conflicts and see if that works. If that does, then swap MBP B's previous static IP address to MBP A and see if can suddenly access the site.

This should essentially eliminate any configuration issues if connectivity the website is solely based on who has the "working" static IP address. In that case, you should go back to your network/system admins and have them check the routing rules for the non-working static IP address..

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Razor,

I'm back. Sorry for the lag. I was busy with other stuffs. However, the problem has yet been solved. I believe it is better to create another thread to avoid any confusion

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do not create a new thread if the subject is the same. A new thread will only be combined with this one anyway.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi,

I will repost my problem again.

I have a rather complex problem which I'm trying to see if anyone seems to know how.

I have a macbook pro with VMware Fusion installed. In the Vmware Fusion, I installed a Windows 7.

So basically, my Windows 7 is inside Macbook pro via a virtual machine.
Now the request i was given is to access an intranet website using IE from that Windows 7.

Additional info.:
1) My PCs, macbookpros, and routers are all using static IP addresses. The intranet webpage is 172.X.X.X

2) From my inadequate understanding, I need to use persistent route to connect with the intranet page ip address, however, whenever macbook is booted up, the persistent route is drop, and we have to reroute the persistent route again.

3) This is how I route http://172.x.x.x mask 255.x.x.x.x <mymacbookpro ip address>

4) I was able to connect to internet by switching to "bridged (Wifi)" in the "network adapter" of VM Fusion.

Questions you may be asking me:

1) Why can't I use Safari or any other browser to access the intranet page?
Ans. I'm not sure why but I have tried on another macbook pro, which a previous IT guy had configured, that only IE from windows can access that page.

2) Can I access Internet from the VM?
Ans. Yes I can. However, I cannot access the intranet page.

Site that may help:
http://anandmpandit.blogspot.sg/2011/07/how-to-add-persistentpermanent-routes_26.html

https://www.jverdeyen.be/mac/persistent-static-routes-mac-os-x/

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
properties.jpg

I also want to ask if I'm doing it correctly. This properties dialog box is from the network adapter in the VM. As you can see there are 3 black blocks which consist of the ip address and the gateway address.

The first top block IP Address consist of the host macbook ip address(192.x.x.x), the second IP Address consist of the IP address(10.x.x.x) assigned by the administrator of the intranet website, and the 3rd IP Address is the router of my network.

Question:
1) May I ask whether I place the first and second IP address correctly? Should I be placing the VM ip address on the top block instead?

2) The administrator of the intranet needs to give me an assigned IP address in order for my IE in VM to reflect the intranet web page, but I haven't understand the reason why he needs to do this. My guess is that he has a firewall restriction.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Hi all,

After about 3 months of trying and asking around, I discover what was the root problem. I hope this problem can help others.

In my VM Fushion of Win7, I set the bridge mode to Wifi as I don't use LAN cables. After confirming that my IE in VM can access internet, I did a route "route ADD <Site IP> mask 255.x.x.x <Gateway IP> so that I can access the locally hosted website on my browser. I realize that it was due to the incorrect host address of the gateway IP that dont allow me to access the page.

Thank you all for your time!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back the fix. Glad to see you sorted it out. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.