How to send photos you find on the web to Apple Photos to create headshots

Reaction score
I often find interesting photos on websites such as Getty Images. I would like to send them to my Apple Photo to create headshots for use in two stories I recently finished but I don't know how to do so. Please give me some advice.

Belle Book

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I often find interesting photos on websites such as Getty Images. I would like to send them to my Apple Photo to create headshots for use in two stories I recently finished but I don't know how to do so. Please give me some advice.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) First, you should have provided some more information on your computer and software - from you comments, I'm assuming that you have a Mac (if so, provide model and year) and are wanting to use the Photos App in macOS (what version is installed on your machine, current one is Sierra 10.12.6)?

Second for myself, I usually grab web images in several ways: 1) Right-click & select 'Save...Downloads' (image will be copied to your DL folder) or 'Add Image to Photos' directly; and 2) Screen Capture (CMD-SHIFT-4) which allows selecting a portion of the image desired, and saved to your Desktop folder - these images can then be opened in Finder and/or imported into the Photos App (or saved immediately to Photos).

Caveat - keep in mind that if the images are 'Copy Protected', then the right-click may not work, permission may be needed, or the pics need to be purchased (might be the requirement w/ Getty Images - I don't know?). Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by 'Headshots'? Please provide answers to the questions and more specific comments can be made. Dave

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Belle

Another welcome to our Forums

RadDave gave you the answer. My minor contribution is to show you what the options are when you Right Click on an image from the web:

S1.png

The ones you most probably want from the list are: "Save image to Downloads"; "Add image to Photos"; and "Save image as..."

The first two are self explanatory. The "Save image as..." allows you to save the image to anywhere of your choosing on your Mac.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Belle

Another welcome to our Forums

RadDave gave you the answer. My minor contribution is to show you what the options are when you Right Click on an image from the web:

The ones you most probably want from the list are: "Save image to Downloads"; "Add image to Photos"; and "Save image as..."

The first two are self explanatory. The "Save image as..." allows you to save the image to anywhere of your choosing on your Mac.

Thanks Ian for the dialog box image - was about to do that myself but wife called me to dinner, so I just posted my text - :) Dave

OP
B
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) First, you should have provided some more information on your computer and software - from you comments, I'm assuming that you have a Mac (if so, provide model and year) and are wanting to use the Photos App in macOS (what version is installed on your machine, current one is Sierra 10.12.6)?

Second for myself, I usually grab web images in several ways: 1) Right-click & select 'Save...Downloads' (image will be copied to your DL folder) or 'Add Image to Photos' directly; and 2) Screen Capture (CMD-SHIFT-4) which allows selecting a portion of the image desired, and saved to your Desktop folder - these images can then be opened in Finder and/or imported into the Photos App (or saved immediately to Photos).

Caveat - keep in mind that if the images are 'Copy Protected', then the right-click may not work, permission may be needed, or the pics need to be purchased (might be the requirement w/ Getty Images - I don't know?). Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by 'Headshots'? Please provide answers to the questions and more specific comments can be made. Dave

Here's an indication of what I mean by "headshots". This is a headshot that someone made for me:

EWXOzeH.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's an indication of what I mean by "headshots". This is a headshot that someone made for me:

View attachment 27094

Hi again - please review my post and answer the questions about your computer and macOS - will help us to respond. :)

Thanks for an example of 'headshots', exactly what I thought you meant but good to have your response. There are plenty of ways to make pics of people w/ or w/o labels - let me just provide some examples for you to explore: 1) First image below is a web pic of Ava Gardner (an actress from the mid-20th century, if not familiar w/ her), downloaded using the 'Right-Click' method described before; 2) 2nd image brought into Finder where I cropped and added her name; 3) 3rd image - pic brought into Keynote (Apple's PowerPoint equivalent, likely on your Mac computer), cropped there and label added; and 4) Last 2 images - pic imported to Photos (could have been saved in Photos to eliminate a step) - using the 'People' & 'Faces' options can offer categorization; image can also be edited, such as a crop - my text added to last pic.

Hope that this gives you some ideas as to what you want to do? If not, then please explain your needs more thoroughly. Good luck - Dave
Ava1_WebDL.jpg

Ava2_Finder.jpg

Ava3_Keynote.png

Ava4_Photos1.png

Ava5_Photos2.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.